Need to learn about braces/hand drills
In place of my cordless drill and driver, I use my 6 inch, and egg beater the most, because they allow so much more control....for doors, if building with support dowels, which many old doors used, then I would use an 8-10 inch and a Stanley dowel jig which can also be used as a drill guide, and can be had on eBay for around $20.

When going for large holes, or using a hole saw then the 10 -12 inch comes out, like drilling dog holes in a workbench, in fact wish for a 14 inch a lot, but those are rare as hens teeth and cost $$$.

For my uses I'd rather have the 12" than the 10" because when I need a big hole the biggest brace makes things easier. If one is looking to get the best bang for their buck, then an 8" and 10" fit that requirement and the are the most plentiful.

Andy-- mos maiorum

-- mos maiorum
BTW

Here is a picture of a random Stanley dowel jig..

Andy-- mos maiorum

Attached Files Image(s)

(01-30-2017, 09:34 PM)Adnick Wrote: BTW
Admiral has a very nice egg beater at a good price in the for sale section.   It's about as good as it gets fo a small version

Andy

I went ahead and jumped on this. Figure I can get it and then sort out how to use it and what to use it for. Thanks for the tip.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
Now you need a set of Fisch brad point drill bits, watch out for copies by the same name.....

-- mos maiorum
I think I might live in one of the places where they are falling out of the sky.  I bought my collection of braces from the university, apparently the office of physical plant had been using them up until the time they started outsourcing almost all the work.  That wasn't that long ago.  Didn't get an eggbeater though.  I do live in an area with a lot of Amish and Mennonite people, so over time there are more and more of their tools as they decide to go cordless instead of hand tools.
(01-31-2017, 08:15 PM)EricU Wrote: I think I might live in one of the places where they are falling out of the sky.  I bought my collection of braces from the university, apparently the office of physical plant had been using them up until the time they started outsourcing almost all the work.  That wasn't that long ago.  Didn't get an eggbeater though.  I do live in an area with a lot of Amish and Mennonite people, so over time there are more and more of their tools as they decide to go cordless instead of hand tools.

I'm in Vegas, and it's pretty much a hand tool wasteland. Can't speak for braces, but in the almost 6 years I have lived here, I have seen exactly 3 hand planes go on sale on craigslist. Never seen a decent hand saw. It's kind of amazing.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
I think it's the mid-west where you have to wear hard hats to avoid the braces falling from the sky. Even here in Vancouver I don't see many on CL, but at the fleamarket on Sunday, there's usually one or two braces. Garage sales might be your best bet, or here.
A man of foolish pursuits