Wiring 6-20P outlet
2 hot wires and a ground. Will be using regular 12/2 romex. I haven't seen any recommendations that the white wire be taped black as you would on a 3 way switch. Why wouldn't I indicate at the outlet that the wire is hot?
Couple of reasons I can think of.  One is that there may not even be a white conductor, as if using conduit, you can pull two blacks.  Or black and red.  Or any two colors that aren't white, gray, or green.  And the other, there may be an assumption on the part of the manufacturer that it's not their job to tell the installer how to identify the ungrounded (hot) conductors.  It's probably just easier for them, whoever 'them is', to say 'install in accordance with all local codes and laws', or words to that effect.

But the NEC does specify that ungrounded conductors that are white or gray need to be permanently re-identified accordingly, and although most folks just use tape, 'permanent' on small conductors is better done with permanent marker.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
The white wire should be taped black or red. Don't have the code article handy or I would post it.
Oh, and I assume you meant '6-20R', as it's a receptacle, not a plug. Can't (or shouldn't) wire a plug with NM (Romex).
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Yes..R. Using cord for the P. (So...same question there...using white/black/green wired cord...but I assume no reason to mark the plug, right?)

Thanks...I will mark it. It seems like I should, just wanted to make sure I shouldn't. We are not inspected here.
Yup always tape the white with preferably red. But I know most don't have all the colors on hand so black is fine. 

What gets me is the amount of commercial stuff that is wired British style with the neutral wire being blue.... I see that allot on 110v bathroom rooftop exhaust fans and similar stuff.
Maybe a dumb second question with this:
Do I color code the white wire in the panel as well? It will be obvious it is on the second pole of the breaker...but "over informing" doesn't sount like a bad plan.
Yes. NEC 200.7(A and C).
Tom

You guys rock!
Thanks.