Painting OSB for wood shop walls?
(02-01-2017, 09:57 PM)skizzo Wrote: Slight variation on the topic -- why OSB as opposed to plywood on the walls?  Is it just a cost savings, or does OSB also have a functional advantage?  I'm getting ready to install wood walls in the next couple weeks and haven't decided which material to use.

For me -- cost difference with no sacrifice in strength/performance.  I buy my building materials at Menards.  Quick check of price this morning shows 7/16" OSB at $12.05/sheet while nearest comparable plywood sheathing is  $13.99/sheet for the lower grade 3-ply 1/2" CDX.  If you want 4-ply, it's $17.95/sheet.  CDX also likely to have significant voids in it; not so with the OSB.
(02-02-2017, 07:06 AM)WxMan Wrote: For me -- cost difference with no sacrifice in strength/performance.  I buy my building materials at Menards.  Quick check of price this morning shows 7/16" OSB at $12.05/sheet while nearest comparable plywood sheathing is  $13.99/sheet for the lower grade 3-ply 1/2" CDX.  If you want 4-ply, it's $17.95/sheet.  CDX also likely to have significant voids in it; not so with the OSB.
+1  I agree.  The cost difference was significant.

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
(02-01-2017, 09:57 PM)skizzo Wrote: Slight variation on the topic -- why OSB as opposed to plywood on the walls?  Is it just a cost savings, or does OSB also have a functional advantage?  I'm getting ready to install wood walls in the next couple weeks and haven't decided which material to use.

Cost for me as well as I got my sheets of OSB for $10.35 a sheet .... and I did not have to finish the seams.
(02-01-2017, 03:29 PM)Turner52 Wrote: Same as the admiral. Worked great.

Mine took 2 coats. White ceiling, light color walls. If the OSB is not installed yet it is a lot easier to paint first, laid on the floor with a long handled roller. You can touch up the screw heads with a small brush later.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
I went the airless sprayer route.

FAST and if you work it right the spray will seal the little gaps and voids dust would land in. Good heavy coat or two and a leaf blower will do a good job of moving the dust to somewhere else.
Wink
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Either plywood or OSB ,plywood cost more. 20 years ago I installed OSB on my shop walls but with the smooth side facing the room. The rough side has the stud lines and is not a factor. I like the rustic look so I did not paint or even seal the OSB. I had thought about painting the walls at first. I have 9 windows and a double door so lighter walls wasn't necessary.
mike