Roubo!
(02-03-2017, 12:53 AM)OregonWoodShop Wrote: Bell Forest has lumber packages for the Benchcrafted Roubo and they ship

http://www.bellforestproducts.com/exotic...workbench/

I've been getting my ducks in a row to start one of these too! Can't wait!
Big Grin

Yup, I've already got a quote from them for hard-maple shipped.  Surprising, 220 board feet shipped to my door,  straight-edge ripped and planed smooth is a couple hundred less than the best I can find at a local dealer. 
They give you a 10% discount too if you are a member of The Wood Whisperer Guild
stunning!
Ad--I am green with envy. Beautiful bench.
Wood is good. 
Thanks,

My favorite item is the Lie-Nielsen tail vise

Had purchased a BC wagon vise, and just help with the installation of another one, and the wagon vise is much easier to install, however it lacks much of the functionality of a real tail vise.....but that little voice in my head kept saying, this is your lifetime bench.

So I sold the BC wagon vise and went for the Lie-Nielsen, and I put the dog holes a little closer and on a 10 ft bench that's a lot of dog holes, and I made a speed handle for it. The new design will not sag, and the things a beast, much more functional than a wagon vise.

My next favorite item is the BC Crisscross leg vise with the retro handle, my chop weighs almost 70 lbs with the hardware, and mine is about 4-10 thousandths above the floor, is as smooth as silk,and does not sag, even fully extended (never rubs the floor)

Did have one issue, personal preference thing, followed the BC guidelines on the leg vise handle placement and hatred ensued not long afterwards.....way too low for me. Yea, went to a lot of trouble jut to raise it a few inches, but part of my problem was related to my top thickness, (5 inches) if the top is 3 inches then it would have been close....

The spli to design is also a wonderful thing, essentially I have a CS size bench in the front half, with another bench in the rear and I can clamp in any fashion that a small narrow bench can. I use the bench from either side and both ends, in fact i recently installed another vise and another planing stop both on the tail vise end...

The shelf was an additional item for me, and I'm contemplating adding a few drawers, not a lot, something like long and low...

Dog holes is another area that I recommend not skimping on, go with rectangular holes for the main line, very close to the front and close together, then use round ones at all the holdowns and supporting locations.

That's just some of my rambling recommendations, have built and help build several benches and think my last is my best by a far measure, but a bench is a highly personal thing

If you only listen to one thing let it be this--don't skimp, and I'm not talking about wood

My very best to anyone who endeavors to build their own bench, the results are always gratifying,
Andy

-- mos maiorum
That's not a bench; that's a piece of furniture.  I'd be heart broken the first time I routed into it and, trust me, it would only be a matter of time until I did as both my benches can attest to.  It sure is beautiful though, just too nice for my work habits.  

John
I just sold my bench today and I plan on starting to build my, hopefully, last one this spring.

[Image: DSC02361_zpsujzahoat.jpg][Image: DSC02364_zpsflvlyvcm.jpg]

I like building work benches and the new one will be #4. The first one was to low and it made my back ach when I planned on it. I  know a lot of people have back problems so  height is a real concern. I don't remember my second one, I sold it to a dentist in the twin cities maybe he will pop in. The one I just sold was 36 high and worked great for several things but I had to use all upper body when planning and I couldn't use my body weight.

The other thing is with age the body shrinks and I my pants inseam is now 30. It was 32 for years and at one time it was 34 but that was only for a short time.

Actually I have spent quite a lot of time thinking about building my temporary bench, made out of 2 x4  framing and putting a half sheet of plywood for a top on it. The top would have cleats so it just set inside the frame. And there are all kinds of ways that the bench can be set up to do planning. Using some advanced planning I would not have to many holes in the top so I can use it on a different project when done.

My table saw will rip 52 inches so I am going to build the end assemblies assembled and the stretchers so they bolt on. That way I can take the bench apart in a couple minutes. I know 36 inches is a little to high for me so I plan on starting at 35 and trying it out. If I think it should be lower I can saw off the legs bolt it back together and try again.  That way I can custom fit the bench to fit it to me and my style of woodworking.

I made my last one so that I could saw off the legs to get it to fit but when it was assembled it was to much trouble so I never fit the height to myself.

Other advantages of this temp. bench is one can also actually see its size in the shop it is going be actually used in. I plan on actually using the entire 8 foot length of plywood because I have the room but one can cut the temporary top  to any length that works for you and not have much out of pocket expense. There are lots of uses for 24 inch wide plywood so I wouldn't cut it wider but the top can be widened by nailing on supports and a cheap board for a top.

So in closing customize a cheap bench to fit your needs in height, width and length and also importantly your shop. And if you are going to have a rubber pad to stand on when at the bench, have it in place when establishing the height.

Also this bench can be used as a table to glue up the top and as an assembly table for making all of the other aspects of the actual bench one wants to build. When finished use what can be salvaged and the rest make good fire wood. Not much out of pocket exspence when done and it may save you some, I whish I would have done it differently and would if I had it to do all over again.

Tom
Tom brought up a point that's critical:
Bench height, CS has this one completely wrong, make sure you get it a comfortable height, mine is 36 inches if I'd listened to CS it would have been 32 inches, and would have been way too low....

-- mos maiorum
Adnick, how tall are you?
I'm 6 ft, but there is some relationship between length of torso and length of forearms, and of course inseam...no one planes with their arms fully extended and everyone's style is a bit different.

Would say my bench could have been 37" without an issue, even 38" with a thick mat, but can't support Paul Sellers 40" recommended height for someone my size either.

-- mos maiorum
I'm 6'3

I like Tom's suggestion of building up a temporary mock bench to determine personal dimensions