Walking Stick or Cane
Rodney
Great job on the tip, I like it.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Do you have any issues with the copper pipe cutting through the rubber tip?  I use a cane, and there's a metal cup / cap that's attached to the cane before the rubber tip is applied.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I've been using a couple canes for a little over a year now.  So far it hasn't been a problem, the rubber is holding up well.  Time will tell.
I think it helps that the rubber is up against the wood inside so most of the weight is transferred to the wood, not the edge of the pipe.  The copper is 1 1/2 inches long, 1 inch goes on the wood.  The stoppers are an inch long, 1/2 inch goes in the pipe.  I secure the stoppers with a #10 stainless screw and use a 3/8" forstner bit to make the counter bore for the head.  That leaves plenty of rubber on the bottom.
Rodney
Super 
Cool
Cool
Cool Thread.  Nice job!

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I like the idea of using a rubber stopper with a metal ferrule rather than a rubber cane tip.  The question I have is whether you have noticed the black rubber stoppers leave a black mark on a surface.  If they don't, they sound great.
That hasn't been a problem either.  The only thing I've noticed which is true of my aluminum crutches as well is you need to be careful on wet or slick surfaces.  I think the only thing that would work 100% on slick surfaces might be a walker.
Rodney
I've gotten a little more done.
Here it is with final shaping and sanding to 320 grit done.
[Image: mahogany%20and%20maple%20shank%20015_zpsz959y2xh.jpg]
I'm not entirely happy with the transition from shank to collar, it looks ok but I can feel a small dip at the collar.  It's also one of those things where it would be really easy for me to do more harm than good if I try to fix it.
If I ever make a 100% perfect one I'll probably quit.

Hanging up and waiting for me to put some finish on it.  I like to hang them upside down with a screw in the end where it won't show on the finished cane.
The one next to it has about 3 coats of tung oil so far.  I sanded it with more 320 to get rid of the raised grain and it will be getting a few more coats as well.
[Image: 902fd947-6ad6-4ca4-8e2c-054bd7a0d840_zpsrrtfoqx6.jpg]

It will be a week or more before I have enough coats of oil on it  I plan to sell these canes so they won't be fitted with tips until I know how long they need to be.
Rodney

[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]
Rodney
I don't see any problem with the transition.Anxious to see the finished product.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I haven't forgotten this project.  It's been a busy week and I'm still a few coats of oil away from a finished product.  No visible changes to speak of until then.
Rodney
that is very nice looking design and engineering achievement! Thanks for sharing!
Not to mention skillful application of woodworking skills
Smile
Cool