English Woodworker sharpening video
I just viewed the promo for the latest English Woodworker sharpening video. I have never been able to plane as effortlessly as depicted. Unless there are some optimized elements beside his method of sharpening, it seems like he has produced a very persuasive advertisement IMHO.

If you have seen this promo, can you share any thought that you may have?

http://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/new-...f-64683673

Thanks
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in the video.   I didn't notice that his effort in using a plane was much different than mine.  I have learned a number of different sharpening systems, and they all come back to getting a clean intersection of two edges, polished to the finest grit you have.  Then maintaining it as it begins to wear.  The video says it will explain different angles needed for different purposes, and go over different approaches, such as grinders, stones, etc, so it may be a good video.  If you want to learn about the technical aspects of sharpening,   you won't find much better than Brent     http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/
Have been able to sharpen for a lond time, but when I took Rob Cosman's sharpening class I went from several minutes to several seconds in resharpening a plane iron....

His sharpening video is worth the time. However I have not watched the English woodworker's video it might be just as good.

Andy-- mos maiorum

-- mos maiorum
Without knowing anything about your tools, technique or sharpening capabilities ...

Is it possible that the ease, to which you refer, could be something as simple as the swipe of wax he applies to his plane's sole at 00:59 seconds into the video?
(02-01-2017, 05:14 PM)RB61 Wrote: If you have seen this promo, can you share any thought that you may have?

http://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/new-...f-64683673

Thanks

The stone you see in the first bit where he is taking a #4 smoother's blade to the stone looks to be a combination fine/coarse India stone ($21 to $25 on Amazon).  Those are quick and efficient!  Add a good strop (I see that his bench strop is quite long, I've never bother with one longer than about 8" but maybe next one, and my go-to strop at home is a power strop) and you are off to the races.  Adding a stone in between such as a soft Arkansas or even a hard Arkansas can be beneficial.  And still quick to use.  Minimal use of a jig because they take up time.  However some days, the magic doesn't happen and a jig might be necessary.

Edit to add, knowing more is usually better than knowing less. Just watch out for paralysis by analysis. Sometimes you just have to take off the over-thinking-cap and "crack on wid et" as Mr. Maguire might intone.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
From the video, I see his planes working very well.  I see him sharpening with a variety of different styles, and for different purposes.  Looks very interesting.

I am a huge fan of the "Get it done" mentality.  Chasing perfection is totally not something that interests me in my "hobby".  I do enough of that in my real job...