repairing a plane
I got a good deal on a rabbet plane here on the swap and sell but unfortunately the usps did a number on it. The little front "horn" broke off in shipment. I filed a claim with the post office for the amount I paid so we'll see how that goes. Otherwise the seller said he'd make good for it. Its a really clean break but I'm not sure the best way to repair it. Ideas? 

How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Braze or silver solder.
Wood is good. 
Grind the stub away. Give your plane a little individuality.

The "knob" will never be used any way. One presses a rebate plane against the work piece with the non-dominant hand on the fence (not the knob).

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Unless you are pretty expert in metalwork, getting someone who is to repair it is likely to cost more than the plane is worth, so I'm with Derek, grind it off; this is a Sargent design, the Stanley version didn't have these knobs (which I like, don't get me wrong!).
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Consider yourself lucky and go purchase a lottery ticket. That little nubbin just gets in the way. I would remove the front blade holder screw and then take the plane to my grinder. An option would be to use Mr Dremel. Hit it just enough and put the plane back to work. Don't let it hang out in the sick bay any longer.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
if you really really want it on there a tiny bit of JB Weld properly applied would last a life time.
(02-02-2017, 12:51 AM)ez-duzit Wrote: Braze or silver solder.

(02-02-2017, 01:02 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Grind the stub away. Give your plane a little individuality.

The "knob" will never be used any way. One presses a rebate plane against the work piece with the non-dominant hand on the fence (not the knob).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Except for the times when you use it without a fence, when those little Sargent rhino horns can be quite handy.

I'm slowly amassing a few Sargent dado planes, selected over the Stanley models specifically for the horn; Stanley's dado planes can be awkward to grip.  Currently have 1/4" (not intentional - I thought it was a 3/4" when I got it online), a 3/8" with a broken lever cap, and a 3/4".  Hoping, some time, to find a 1/2", and I wouldn't mind a 3/8" I didn't have to repair.
Drill a 1/8" hole through the plane where it is damaged. Then try to drill a 1/8" hole in the same spot on the horn. Get a 1/8" dowel, stick it in the holes and J B Weld the two pieces back together. I've done it but it's not easy to get a nice fit. Good luck.
I can braze and silver braze, but doesn't that mess up the japanning pretty badly?
(02-02-2017, 05:06 PM)mvflaim Wrote: Drill a 1/8" hole through the plane where it is damaged. Then try to drill a 1/8" hole in the same spot on the horn. Get a 1/8" dowel, stick it in the holes and J B Weld the two pieces back together. I've done it but it's not easy to get a nice fit. Good luck.
Why not hold it in position and drill the hole down from the top, ensuring that the holes mate?  It would seem easier than trying to locate a hole that exactly. And, if there's enough width there, two holes side by side might be better?

I would think making it slightly larger and using a machine screw with the head cut off, bedding the screw in both places in the epoxy, would be better, although you'd need an epoxy thinner than JB Weld to get down into the holes.