Garage door opener with better safety sensors?
I have a pretty old garage door opener from a company i believe is no longer around (LYNX).  It still works, but have been thinking about replacing it.  The biggest issue I have is the safety sensors.  I hate the way they stick out-- I bump it with a mobile tool base or something, and then suddenly the door won't go down.  I end up having to mess around with the sensors for a bit to get it to work again... annoying.
Are there any openers that have improved on this technology?  I hate the angle brackets that stick out off the inside of the door jamb idea.  

Also, the garage is my shop, so plenty of sawdust in the air-- are there any sealed tracks or perhaps a belt drive would help with this?

Colin
Belts and tracks: I eliminated this whole problem by using a jackshaft opener from Liftmaster. They are, however, expensive.

Sensors: Seems like all are similar. Some folks just screw them to the wall in a random place so they can see each other ane eliminate the issue, as well as their safety aspect.

Otherwise, yes, I occasionally kick mine and have to re-align them. Takes but a moment. Not worth finding an alternate solution, if you ask me.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Check the Chamberlain belt drive models, I replaced my Genie with them because 1: the Genie is a crap brand (had several: track drive and screw drive, with no happy ending) and 2: the Chamberlain is a Whisper drive and much quieter. Chamberlain is also pretty much the same as Liftmaster, those i think Liftmaster is a dealer type thing. I'd love to go with the jackshaft opener, but I think the doors have to close by gravity (the lift can't force them down) so i passed on trying to install one of those.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-02-2017, 01:00 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I'd love to go with the jackshaft opener, but I think the doors have to close by gravity (the lift can't force them down) so i passed on trying to install one of those.

Not really, Jackshaft requires a properly spring balanced door, just like a regular opener. In fact, I did not adjust it when I installed the new opener.

Think about it. In disconnected emergency mode, the door must function properly.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(02-02-2017, 01:00 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Check the Chamberlain belt drive models, I replaced my Genie with them because 1: the Genie is a crap brand (had several: track drive and screw drive, with no happy ending) and 2: the Chamberlain is a Whisper drive and much quieter. Chamberlain is also pretty much the same as Liftmaster, those i think Liftmaster is a dealer type thing. I'd love to go with the jackshaft opener, but I think the doors have to close by gravity (the lift can't force them down) so i passed on trying to install one of those.

Yes the jackshaft openers use the help of gravity to close the door. The door tracks need to be raised slightly so in the open position the door tilts down and there is always tension on the cables. A "slack" sensor is used on the cable to prevent bad things from happening.

Usually the jackshaft openers are dealer installed, I did both of mine myself since my door guy left them to finish the next day.

Ed
mr_mike:  you installed it yourself?  
does it require a torsion spring type garage door?
Screwdrive is the worst choice. They are noisy they drip grease on the car in the summer they drag in the winter and get really noisy and they require periodic greasing. 

Chain drive is the best bang for the buck. Relativly quiet and durable fairly priced and just work. 

Belt drive is the quietest and pricey. Just a quieter version of chain though belt drives do have their issues. 

Jackshaft is imo the best and usually the most expensive. 

As for the sensors I have mine mounted to the ceiling pointed right at each other next to the opener. Actually taped together. For us they are not beneficial but when we move I will install them properly. 
         I miss the old days when you could just short the pins and trash the sensors...
(02-02-2017, 02:36 PM)Cdshakes Wrote: mr_mike:  you installed it yourself?  
does it require a torsion spring type garage door?

Installed myself. Requires 1" torsion bar. It actually spins the torsion bar, so yeah, you have to have one.

Quote:Yes the jackshaft openers use the help of gravity to close the door. The door tracks need to be raised slightly so in the open position the door tilts down and there is always tension on the cables. A "slack" sensor is used on the cable to prevent bad things from happening.

Usually the jackshaft openers are dealer installed, I did both of mine myself since my door guy left them to finish the next day.

I made no such adjustment to the tracks. Perhaps it is normal to have slope to the rails, but I don't know. There is no mention in the install manual about a slope, however, the door does have to basically work prior to installation. It must be balanced.

Fundamentally, its no harder to do a jackshaft than a conventional opener. In fact, I'd say easier since you don't have to deal with resting the motor on a step ladder and all that crap.

The installation manual is at this link...

https://www.liftmaster.com/catalogresour...4a4565.pdf

What happens if the torsion spring breaks on a jackshaft lifter?  Does it unwind quickly and trash the lifter?
that's a good question about the spring.  It would make sense that they have a worm drive system that can't be back-driven.  I've never looked on mine.