Shooting board question
I want to make a shooting board. Should the rabbet that the plane rides on only be as shallow as necessary? I was thinking if it was too low, the blade would be planing away the platform on which the board you're trimming rests on or maybe it's supposed to.
That will happen for the 1st few strokes, then the plane's sole will prevent further cutting.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(02-04-2017, 02:54 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: I want to make a shooting board.  Should the rabbet that the plane rides on only be as shallow as necessary?  I was thinking if it was too low, the blade would be planing away the platform on which the board you're trimming rests on or maybe it's supposed to.
Shallow enough that you aren't giving up a bunch of the blade width but deep enough that the side of the mouth is hurried and so limits depth of cut.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
The plane will cut the rabbet the first time you use it.  just glue 3 boards together and get after it.

Don't over complicate your first one.
If you consider the sole of the plane, you will see that it is only the 1/4 inch or slightly less, at the edge, which guides the plane.

3/4 inch base board and runway may be a convenient option.

David
If you like really simple, and have a bottle of old CA glue, just glue a board and a second at the angle you need directly onto the bench. When done smack 'em and scrape off the residue. Simple. Easy. Fast.

Note: This does not work on Melamine surfaces. And, is easy only if you have scraps you won't salvage for smaller projects.