Chisels
Looking for a set of chisels, looking to stay at or under $100. I have a set of mortising chisels, looking for something to pair and chop. The narex with the metal hoop I don't like the way they feel. I have 2 buck butt plastic handle chisels from my father they are ok but too short. The new Stanley 750 are they worth it? Should I just get a single Lie Nielsen? Don't really like eBay and not much for tools in yard sales around me, and they ask ridiculous prices for rusted pitted tools here... (suberb of Atlanta) If so what size is best all around? Mainly work with 3/4 wood. But. Have started making a few desk clocks not sure wood thickness matters?

Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks h
Mark
The LN are very nice.  

If you like that style, checkout the reissued stanley 750' sweethearts.  They feel very similar and work fine in my opinion.  

If I were you, I would get 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 1", something like that... The 5/8, 1", and larger don't get used very often by me.

If you think you want LN's, then if I were you, I would buy a 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and start with just those.
The two sizes I use most often are 1/4" and 1/2", followed by 3/4" - can't offer advice as to chisel choice because mine are all vintage.
LN chisels are nice, but you're not going to get a "set" for $100.  Maybe 2, but not 4.  I consider the minimum set of chisels is 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4".  Maybe you could save up and purchase them one at-a-time.  Other decent chisels are the Veritas PM-V11, again, pretty pricey for your budget.  Ashley Iles Mk II are decent chisels, closer to your price range.  The new Stanley Sweetheart chisels are just OK, IMO.  You say you don't like eBay, but how about Swap-N-Sell?  Every so often, good sets come up for sale at decent prices.  There are a TON of vintage US and English made chisels that are very good.  Greenlee, Swan, Stanley, Wards, Witherby, Marples, etc.  I recommend purchasing one or two of the better brands and saving up to add to your set.  No rule says you need a complete set to start.  If I had to start with only 2, I'd get the 1/4" and 1/2".
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
For a long time my only chisel was a 3/8" Stanley #60 butt chisel. Seemed like a go to size for me. YMMV. You don't like short chisels so that leaves out the #60 and most Japanese chisels. I have a 5/16" Japanese paring chisel that is nice to use. It is sure long enough. I liked it so much that I made three smaller ones just like it. Chisels that small are not hard to make.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I like my Lie-Nielsen ones quite a bit- I'd suggest just getting one, the size you'd use most often and see how you like them.  I'd rather have two or three chisels that I love to use than a full set of mediocre ones.
I think you should consider these chisels:

Irwin chisels on Amazon, 6 for $47

I have the Marples set that these are based on; mine date to before the Irwin/Marples merger, maybe 2004-06 or so. I'm sure the regulars here are tired of hearing me say they're my prized shop possessions. I got a set of 4 for about $35 or $40, I honestly don't recall. They do everything I ask of them, and I can fairly easily get them super sharp. In all seriousness, I can't imagine how a chisel could be better than these. I have restored an old Greenlee chisel, some old Sargent chisels, an old witherby chisel and none of them hold a candle to these.

That said, I can't vouch for the quality since the Irwin/Marples merger. For all I know they became junk.

Here's my set:

As you can see, the handles are different, but they otherwise look like the same chisel.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
I really like the Japanese chisels, for the money. Try Japan Woodworker. And I have just ordered a couple of the Veritas mortise chisels.

These are the ones I use most, Marples, in the box, and Japanese, in the roll.

[Image: chisels-plus-1_zpsmn4sop4u.jpg]
Wood is good. 
My first set of chisels were Marples and they served me well.... I had to sharpen them very often so I learned how to sharpen and progressed over the years to appreciate tools that held an edge longer and could reach a finer edge of sharp.  I have used a 3/4" Lie Nielsen for a paring chisel for many many years now...might call it my favorite...but I have acquired a LOT of chisels. I have an old Weatherby 1/2" that I use very often...it holds a very sharp edge for a very long time....very good chisel. I also have a full set of vintage sweethearts that are at hand and serve me very well.  I've acquired mortise chisels and a large variety of chisels as the need has arisen over the years. I really like using Japanese chisels and have several...but....I find they are more prone to chip than my American/European made tools.  I have a few large 1" and 1 1/2" paring chisels from 2 Cherries that come in handy often.  
I would recommend that you get a set such as the Marples...they are not too expensive and they are good users.  I could probably have gotten by with just keeping those sharp and never getting more than a mortising chisel or two but using a sharp chisel is very gratifying and as my passion grew so did my appetite for better steel.  The Marples will function for as long as you want them to....and your projects will get done.  Narex makes a good economical set, too.
good luck,

Don
Lots of good information as always. I have an opportunity this week to try out the new Stanley 750's and from what I believe I hear is everyone likes the smaller sizes? Going to a friend's house, he has the new Stanley. EBay seems hit or miss and lots of work considering can find new chisels for about $20 each. I know whatever I buy will need work. If you have any other suggestions would love to hear them.

Thanks for the quick response!
Mark