plunge router reviews - recommendation
Looking to purchase a plunge router.
Tried to do a google search on best plunge router reviews and looked at about 20 websites and none of them really had any definitive and clear reviews of plunge routers. Most seemed to be somehow connected to amazon or their own sales dept??
So, looking for a plunge router, ergonomic, easy to use and accurate.  Your recommendation of either a router or a good website with excellent reviews.
Thank you.
I have several plunge routers. My favorites are the DeWalt DW-625 and DW-621. I had both for years and they've always served me well with no problems.
To get a good idea of which router is best you might want to specify what you want to do.

In general the small lightweight routers are limited to less robust bits, which can more easily dull, or break, but you can go for hours with no fatigue. Medium sized routers in the 2 hp + - range will offer the best versatility for doing both lighter work, and heavier work, done slowly. If I had to be limited to just one router it would be one of this range router. Heavy routers are ungainly, and can tip, and balance on small pieces must have some like sized scrap to help support the base is needed, but they can go forever, and offer the widest variety of bits/bit sizes. IOW you can put both a 1/4" bit, or a large profile 1/2" shank bit in a large router, but you will lose all of the large sizes on a small router.

That doesn't even begin to get into brand. For years a PC 690, and all of it's derivatives @ 1 3/4 hp was a very big selling tool. In recent years PC is a low line homeowner based tool, that many who had an old PC690 would not recognize. If someone has an older one, and doesn't know they are changed, they would go to the mat saying it is best. So ever changing company ownerships, and changing tool models need to be added to the mix. Price may be a factor, Hitachi, and Rigid come in lower priced than the top brands.

The actual base itself may well be the most important aspect if you plan to do work that requires repeatable settings to do very accurate work. The most accurate router I have ever used was a simple $79.00 Bosch Colt, and a Microfence The Microfence is not cheap, but it is a precision body which can do very accurate, and repeatable work.
Yes
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
As Steve said very well, the mid sized routers offer a lot of versatility; if I could have only one, it would be a mid sized one.  Of those, this Sears combo is a nice package at an amazing price.  I have the fixed base version of it in my horizontal router mortiser and it performs very well.  It comes complete with a lot of accessories that you normally have to pay extra for, too, including an edge guide and a vacuum pick up for both bases.  At a higher price point, but still an excellent value and an excellent machine, is the Bosch 1617   combo kit.  It's been around a long time and is a proven performer.  I have a fixed base one mounted in my router table, but sometimes use it in the plunge base for handheld work.  Very smooth running and very smooth plunge action. 

John
I have a few plunge router along with fixed based but my go to mid size is a Bosch 1613evs router. It has soft start which I think is very important in a router . 2HP I am not sure you can get these any more but if you find one it would be my choice.

[Image: c013.JPG]
John T.
I have I have a Festool OF 1400 EQ which I like, and a Milwaukee 5616-21 which I also like. I did not like my Bosch and gave it away. For small stuff I have an DW-621which is great. All are very comfortable to use.

I do a lot of work and have never found the need for a heavier router.
Everyone here will weigh in with their experience and opinions and biases, so here's mine.

Makita.

Bulletproof. Beautifully machined. Tons of accessories available.

Their combo series was their PC690 fighter. Except I felt it was better machined, which is why I chose it. Doesn't matter what I throw at it, it just keeps on going. PC690 accessories fit it perfectly. If you need something bigger, their 3+ HP plunge routers (mine's a previous generation and lives in my table). My laminate trimmer does everything I need for LD work - chamfers, hinge mortises - you name it.

The green plastic they use is bulletproof. I've dropped my laminate trimmer on a concrete floor what seems like millions of times and the plastic is 100% intact.

They make a hugely overlooked 1/4" plunge router that is machined as precisely as everything else and has the advantage of a small footprint plus a plunge. I don't own it. But if I ever needed another small router I'd bypass the laminate trimmer sizes and go for that on as my next acquisition.

These are obviously only my own personal experiences and biases but buying Makita gear is a no-brainer for me - noise vibration precision - I get everything I'm looking for.

HTH

Howard
My goodness, can I be that old school? PC 690 series. I have two sets with the fixed and plunge bases.

I also have a Milwaukee plunge 3&1/2hp for the router table(or hand held when I wish to tempt fate).

Wood review
[/url]
[url=http://routertablereviews.net/wood-router-reviews/]Routertable review
I love triton. Both for plunge and table use
Lawrence
Shazam!! You could be right!!!!!!!
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/slideshow/portfolio?sort=6
I purchased my Bosch 1617 EVS with the plunge base several years ago based on the good reviews in side-by-side tests.  It's got a really smooth plunge, and plenty of power for what I do (2 HP).  I replaced the base with an aftermarket clear plastic base which really helps.  The new base also allowed me to use standard Porter-Cable guide bushings vs. the Bosch unique ones.  I have a PC 690 motor in my router table, primarily because just about any router accessory can be found to fit a PC 690.

Truth in lending - the switch on my Bosch did go out and was replaced under warranty.  It's been bulletproof since then.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill