valve to use to shut off shower hes
I have a leaky shower head and I can't get the stem out.
For now I want to put a shut off valve in front of the shower head.
Does such a valve exist and what size is the standard thread? Thanks
well or city water?

You'll probably have to shut off the main water valve (more to it if you have a well), cut the hot and cold pipes to the shower and install valves. I prefer brass ball valves if you want them to work next time you need them. Any chance you can access those pipes under the shower in the basement?

It's probably just easier to shut off the main, drain the pipes. replace the bad valve and turn your water back on.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Just drop by Walmart and get a shower head with a shutoff valve on the back side.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
city water I have access trying to stop the drip until I can find old time plumber to get stem out and replace the cartridge had a young plumber skilled but had not worked with the old faucet handles he got the cold replaced but not the hot could not get it loose or to turn and unscrew
Do you have a ranch house?  Basement access to the copper tubing?  You can add a cut off valve to any room in the house from the basement.  You should have a whole house cutoff valve.  Turn that off and then turn on the lowest sink in the house to drain the water.  Cut the pipe and sweat solder in the valve.  Pray that the sweat solder holds and turn on the water.  

Also pray that you get the job done quickly enough that nature calls are not an issue.

I heard that burnt toast stuffed into the pipes will keep it dry while soldering.  The toast is supposed to wash away when the water is turned on.  I have not tried this trick and I am mentioning it for background information only.  But if there is residual water in the pipes you may have a hard time  getting the copper hot enough for soldering.  

If it is a newer home and you have PEX plumbing this will not apply.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Search for shower head shut off.   Should be able to get at any big box store.     As I understand you want to be able to continue to use the shower but just stop the running until you can get it repair properly.   Roly
https://www.amazon.com/SumnaconTM-Brass-...-off&psc=1
I can't recall ever working or installing a shower head that wasn't 1/2" pipe thread. I second the trip to Walmart.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

If you just want to stopper the shower while awaiting repairs then a simple cap will work:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/...SX355_.jpg
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
thanks
I tried a brass cap and I used teflon tape and tightened but still had the drip so I am perplexed as why. I can only conclude I need more teflon tape. Any other ideas on what I had done wrong?