Tenoning jig for an old Craftsman table saw
I have a Craftsman table saw bought used in the 70's. The miter gauge is undersized and will not accept 3/4" wide gauges. I think it was Sears way of making you buy Craftsman accessories for the saw as other manufacturers products would not fit in the miter slot. Anyways, I would like to buy a tenoning jig for this saw. Does anyone make a tenoning jig that will fit this saw's miter slot? I really don't want to buy a jig and have to sand the miter bar down to fit the undersized slot. I guess I could make my own, but it would be a lot easier to buy one that fits.
I wouldn't try sanding a larger bar down to size. But it should be a simple matter to replace the bar with a piece of bar stock of the correct size.
Wood is good. 
There are so many plans for tenoning jigs that I would find one of those I liked and build that.  I actually did build mine and it is just a box missing two sides that I clamp on to my miter gauge.  It is very simple but does the job.
(02-08-2017, 04:21 PM)stav Wrote: There are so many plans for tenoning jigs that I would find one of those I liked and build that.  I actually did build mine and it is just a box missing two sides that I clamp on to my miter gauge.  It is very simple but does the job.

Just to add on to this you can build one that uses the rip fence as the guide as well. they may be even easier to fabricate. 

JME 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I don't know what the quality of a crapsman gauge is

[Image: s-l64.jpg]

But there are a couple on E-bay.  Here is one http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRAFTSMAN-UNIVER...Sw2xRYmM5L

Joe has the best advise though, build it to ride the rip fence.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Wood Magazine

Pop Woodworking shows a tenon jig in the article would be easy to make it fit your saw.

I like this saddle jig the best, very stable, and safe with your hands well above the blade, and using some DeStaco clamps to hold your stock you could even mount a handle on the back side making it reallllllllly safe. The stock is locked against the tall riser who's bottom becomes as sacrificial backerboard, so no tear out, that has always been the biggest problem I have found with a store bought tenon jig.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(02-08-2017, 05:22 PM)Cecil Wrote: I don't know what the quality of a crapsman gauge is

[Image: s-l64.jpg]

But there are a couple on E-bay.  Here is one http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRAFTSMAN-UNIVER...Sw2xRYmM5L

Joe has the best advise though, build it to ride the rip fence.
I have the knockoff of this one. It has an adjustable slot. I think the C'man one is fixed. It seems like a sufficient design though probably not the best ever made.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
It is a simple matter to add the sacrificial piece to an ordinary tenoning jig. Though, if you crosscut them, first, it is unnecessary. Mine is the old, HEAVY duty Delta jig, to which I have added self-stick sanding discs to prevent movement of the workpiece.

[Image: delta-no-1172-tenonig-jig-21260362.jpg]
Wood is good. 
Here's a link to the Glen Huey version that rides along the fence: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projec...tenon_jig2 (available there as a pdf as well.)

It's simple, works fine, and is similar to one posted above.
Alan--that style of jig provides no means of holding the workpiece tightly against the jig, and so may create problems with accuracy.
Wood is good.