Anchoring in Concrete Help Needed
Something like this work? Enough room to back it into the garage?

OWWM thread

Ed
(02-10-2017, 12:51 AM)Bob10 Wrote: [Image: tilttrailer.png]

That or a tilt bed car carrier truck would be ideal and make the job almost stupid simple. 

So far I haven't gotten any new quotes from U-Ship after I specified the truck or trailer had to have ramps. 

John
(02-10-2017, 12:10 AM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Does Ken have a riding lawn mower? That and three or four broom handles (or any kind of pipe, even PVC) will have it up the driveway and in the garage in a matter of minutes. I moved my 36" old iron band saw about 15' with nothing more than two Wonder bars and a handful of deep sockets. This is not really a tough project, but I do suggest some type of wheels or rollers. Even two or three H.F. furniture dollies at less than $10 each will work.

Yes, he does, but that wouldn't have enough pull to get it off the truck unless we first pried it up and put pipes under it.  Could work, though I prefer the winch on my car as it has better control and a lot more pulling power.  Thanks.

John
getting it up high enough for pipes can be done with a small bottle jack and some blocking.  Do it little by little shim as you go if you are worried about procedure.
If you have access to a johnson bar like the one I pointed to before it is all you need to get it up on 1/2" black pipe from there 3/4" is not a problem. Probably as big as I would go with that machine and you can use if for pipe clamps when you are done
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(02-09-2017, 07:36 PM)jteneyck Wrote: OK, time for some additional info. to aid understanding of the situation.  This thing is 10' long, weighs 1620 lbs by itself and likely 1800 lbs on its skids, and is top heavy as all jointers are.  The seller is a super nice guy and will put the monster on a skid of 4 x 4's.  There will be a base of 8 footers, 2 about 45" apart and one half way in between.  On top of them will be four or five 4' ones, cross wise.  This will make a wide, stable base.  The machine will be bolted to the cross pieces.  The cross pieces at the ends will not be under the machine, so they will be easy for us to wrap a cable or chain around to pull it. 

From the street it's uphill at least 4 ' over 50' so 2 old guys, even old guys in good shape, aren't going to be rolling it.  Nor would I even think about a pallet jack.  It's getting pulled with my car, directly and/or with the winch.  I'm hoping I can find a trucker with a small enough truck or trailer so that he can back part or all the way up Ken's driveway; that would make for a nearly level pull and over a short distance.   If the truck can't back up the driveway then my plan is to pull it off with my car and get it pointed in the right direction.  From there I'll re-position my car to pull through a snatch block that will be connected to the anchor point(s) in the garage.  If I keep the skid on the ground nothing bad happens if a cable, chain, or anchor point fails.  If it's on rollers - if something goes wrong it goes very wrong.   

I'm specifying the trucker has to have a trailer with ramps so that we can pull the machine off.  It's their responsibility to make sure the ramps can handle the load and stay attached to their trailer.  

I really like the simplicity of using a couple of rods as anchor points.  I also like the Tapcons.  I stopped at HD today and found they sell a two pack of 1/2" x 6" ones for less than $10.  A couple of those holding a 2 x 6 down on the floor, with a big D-ring bolted to that seems like a good approach.  Then I'd be able to lag my hand winch to the 2 x 6 for the final pull once it's in the garage if I can't get a clear sight line with my winch cable. 

Thanks for the input.  

John

You already have a plan, so referring to your question- Yes, the concrete will hold with a good anchoring system rated for the weight. I would rate at X2 or even X3 for the occasional "jerking" and such. I would keep the anchor point at least 2 feet from any edge of the concrete slab to be on the safe side.
So how was it or is it still to come?
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(02-20-2017, 03:42 PM)Bob10 Wrote: So how was it or is it still to come?

THanks for asking.  It's supposed to be picked up any minute now by UPS Freight and be delivered on Thursday via a lift gate truck.  Assuming we are able to get the monster turned sideways onto the lift gate, we should be good to go to winch it up the driveway and into Ken's garage.  Wish us luck. 

I'm going to install the winch point in the garage floor tomorrow, and layout my cables and chains to make sure that part of the game plan is all set.  

I'll update the adventure when it happens. 

John
I just got an E-mail from the guy Ken bought the jointer from in western MI; very nice guy, to be sure.  Here's what the jointer, a 16" Zefam (made in Poland and very much the same as some Martins and SCMI models; in fact, Zefam probably made them) looked like on the skid he made for it. 

[Image: 12hM8mfiRhpNmAgL4Gxpu0r664AuppZTe4R34seV...38-h628-no]

The fence is inside the plywood box.  As you can see, he has pretty good sized forklift, so putting it on the UPS Freight truck was no issue.

[Image: Qn_6BUnPQDmTSO8PWBt-ns8EKYm2U8Y5fl_ohBiF...38-h628-no]

The schedule at this end is Thursday.  More to follow when it happens. 

John

Cool ..
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

What an awesome jointer....good luck with the move. Ken definitely owes you a case of beer. What did you decide to do for the anchor, the rod stuck in angled holes?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.