End Grain Cuts
Hi All, I recently put a shooting board together (I put a workbench in my basement and want to do some all hand tool projects). I am using a LN 5 1/2 which I feel like I have a really good edge on. I can produce some very nice shavings. However, I am not certain I am getting quite the right finish on end grain with the shooting board. I feel like I should have a fine finish on it because I can get a great finish with a block plane and I use similar sharpening methods for the two planes. I cannot afford a low angle plane at this time to dedicate to it. I have seen Rob Cosmans video using a 5 1/2 and I cannot see an up close of the finish, but I assume it is very good. I am wondering if someone could show some pictures of work off their shooting boards with a high angle plane.

My blade is honed at 27 deg.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I first want to comment about the 27 degree bevel angle - it is too low for durability. Raise it to 30 - 32 degrees.

Below is a link to pictures of end grain cuts - however, they were deliberately taken after the plane blade was dull. At least you get to see the cuts at their worst!
Smile.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews...Plane.html

And here are Tasmanian Oak boards that have been shot with a sharp blade using a HNT Gordon Trying Plane (60 degree bed) ..

[Image: ShootingforPerfection_html_d20ea6d.jpg]

One should obtain a glossier finish with a lower cutting angle. I just do not have any pictures on file that were taken with one.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
The 5 1/2 will absolutely work great on the shooting board.  what is it not doing?

Sharpen up and try again.  How many times have you sharpened it today?  Me..? about 5 or 6...

You do not need a low angle plane for shooting...
(02-11-2017, 08:44 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: The 5 1/2 will absolutely work great on the shooting board.  what is it not doing?

Sharpen up and try again.  How many times have you sharpened it today?  Me..? about 5 or 6...

You do not need a low angle plane for shooting...

Sharpness is the first criteria. Sounds like the OP just isn't quite getting the blade sharp.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I am pretty new on here, what exactly is an OP?
(02-11-2017, 10:26 PM)cjbyrne7 Wrote: I am pretty new on here, what exactly is an OP?

You are the OP.  The Original Poster.

It's all good brother.  Try it out again and let us know what happens.
Quote:You do not need a low angle plane for shooting...

Quite true. However, based on the tests i have run, the higher the bed, the lower the edge life. BU planes with a low 12 degree bed last significantly longer than a BD plane with a 45 degree bed. This means that one needs to sharpen the BD plane more frequently to sustain performance.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(02-11-2017, 11:22 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Quite true. However, based on the tests i have run, the higher the bed, the lower the edge life. BU planes with a low 12 degree bed last significantly longer than a BD plane with a 45 degree bed. This means that one needs to sharpen the BD plane more frequently to sustain performance.

Regards from Perth

Derek

This was my recent experience with end grain cherry.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
Thanks for the advice. Derek the link to your article was really well done. I do hope to get a bevel up plane for shooting some day, just not sure when.