What to do after final coat
I avoid wax on acrylic and poly finishes.  It complicates refinishing later on.  Without the wax you can scuff the surface and apply another coat if it gets damaged.  With the wax I would probably take it down to bare wood before applying the finish.  

I don't think modern finished require paste wax.  But it does provide lubricity when rubbing down with steel wool and that might be the overriding factor.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
This guy uses a super light pass with 400g, then 0000 steel wool, then 0000 steel wool with soapy water.

Any issue with doing that with a water based top coat?

https://youtu.be/O9LOtYFMb-A
(02-15-2017, 03:42 PM)Cooler Wrote: I avoid wax on acrylic and poly finishes.  It complicates refinishing later on.  Without the wax you can scuff the surface and apply another coat if it gets damaged.  With the wax I would probably take it down to bare wood before applying the finish.  

I don't think modern finished require paste wax.  But it does provide lubricity when rubbing down with steel wool and that might be the overriding factor.

MS, Naphtha or Turpentine should remove the wax if need be if you needed to recoat the top.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(02-15-2017, 03:58 PM)JokerRN Wrote: This guy uses a super light pass with 400g, then 0000 steel wool, then 0000 steel wool with soapy water.

Any issue with doing that with a water based top coat?

https://youtu.be/O9LOtYFMb-A

Once fully cured, I'd expect it to be just fine.  Also that one isn't using so much soapy water it would be easier to just dunk it in the bathtub.

FYI, finger paints and watercolors are "water based", implying that the solvent is water.

Water borne or water-borne is the correct term in this case.  The finish is carried in a solvent that is dispersed in water, i.e. an emulsion.

(My own personal crusade and windmill tilting exercise is to eliminate "water based" as the descriptive term... 
Rolleyes
Uhoh 
Big Grin )
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(02-15-2017, 04:16 PM)Rob Young Wrote: (My own personal crusade and windmill tilting exercise is to eliminate "water based" as the descriptive term... 
Rolleyes
Uhoh 
Big Grin )

Fine with me.
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks.

I will hence-forth use "water-borne" as the descriptive verbiage.

I am on a similar crusade against people saying things like "I could care less," and the misuse of "there, their, and they're."
(02-15-2017, 05:20 PM)JokerRN Wrote: Thanks.

I will hence-forth use "water-borne" as the descriptive verbiage.

I am on a similar crusade against people saying things like "I could care less," and the misuse of "there, their, and they're."

As we all go forth, making the world a better place one pet-peeve at a time. 
Laugh
(02-15-2017, 05:30 PM)Rob Young Wrote: As we all go forth, making the world a better place one pet-peeve at a time. 
Laugh

Just remember, 1 mans pet peeve may be an other mans joy.
Wink
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(02-15-2017, 04:15 PM)MikeBob Wrote: MS, Naphtha or Turpentine should remove the wax if need be if you needed to recoat the top.

It removes some and smears the rest around.  I would bet that you'd need to use 10 clean cloths plus naptha to get enough of it off for excellent adhesion.

Silicon is worse.  Chrysler had received stamping oils contaminated with silicon in the 1980s.  It caused the paint to peel.  They had made arrangements to have the cars repainted but they peeled also.  Once you get silicon on a finish it will stay for ever.  

Wax is not as bad, but since most modern finishes don't require wax I would leave it off.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-15-2017, 05:45 PM)MikeBob Wrote: Just remember, 1 mans pet peeve may be an other mans joy.
Wink

[Image: petpeeves.gif~c200]

Yes