Farmhouse dining table
Daughter wants me to build a dining table. Need suggestions for type of wood for the top. will be stained a dark color.
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men,out of necessity, are forced by circumstance to meet."
Admiral William Frederick "Bull" Halsey Jr.

I don't know if it's your style, but have you considered a slab top table?  I for one am a big fan of slab table and have built several small ones myself.  I'd love to try a full sized dining table project.
The older I get the faster I was.
Used reclaimed lumber last year on a dinning table for my DNL.  She also wanted it stained dark.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
A lot of people complain about crumbs getting stuck between boards on the top.   Suggest whatever type of lumber you use that the top can be made smooth like a normal table top.   It may not be what was envisioned so check and see what they want but be sure and mention the crumbs issue.   I don't see why red oak would not work if finished properly but the wood choice may affect how dark it will stain.  Roly
(02-12-2017, 10:49 AM)kitchen cabinetDarrellC Wrote: Daughter wants me to build a dining table. Need suggestions for type of wood for the top. will be stained a dark color.

A pretty wide open question. Things to think about, what does her room look like? What if any wood furniture/cabinets in the room? Wood flooring? Personal taste? Kids? I mean you could use any wood, and with dye and/or stain make it dark.
I mean, it is like asking my mother what she wants for dinner, "well I am not sure, something nice"!! She does not have Dementia or the big bad A.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(02-12-2017, 10:49 AM)DarrellC Wrote: Daughter wants me to build a dining table. Need suggestions for type of wood for the top. will be stained a dark color.

Hi Darrell - do you have a pic of the table planned - how large, will there be leaves, are you wanting to use a lesser wood to simulate one more expensive, and what is your budget?  As an example, I've used walnut for small projects which is already dark and beautiful but could be costly?  Another question - do you want solid wood,  a manufactured panel (e.g. veneer plywood), or a mixture depending on the thickness of the table top (e.g. MDF or plywood base w/ a top of solid hardwood).  You probably should select 3-4 possibilities and make some small samples w/ a variety of finishes to show to your daughter before committing to the entire project, but just what I would likely do?  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
OK...no leaves, legs and apron painted white. Room is gray with white trim, dark hardwood floors. Thought about Oak. Pine or fir would be too soft I think. will glue up slab top. Dark, distressed/antiqued smooth top.
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men,out of necessity, are forced by circumstance to meet."
Admiral William Frederick "Bull" Halsey Jr.