Places on wooden plane to avoid finishing.
I applied a coat of Tru-Oil then a coat of J & J wax applied with a 3M pad to everything but the sole, the bed (ramp?), the side of the wedge that contacts the blade assembly, and the part of the bar-thingie that holds the wedge and blade in place.  I also added a strike button (rosewood, not ebony as I indicated in the original post) to the back of the plane.  Guess I should'a used a cleaner towel.

I get the "let the oil produced by your hands do the job" approach but there are two problems for me:  1) my project productivity is so low (cuz I'm so slow) that I'll be pushing up daffodils long before body oil could do the trick, and 2) I heard so much noise from my mom while growing up about leaving dirty hand and finger prints on every blessed surface in the house, usually within seconds after she'd cleaned it, that I'd probably have nightmares.  

I tried it out and steadily pulled shavings of .0001-.0015.  That works for me.  

Thanks for all the suggestions.

[Image: IMG_5790.jpg]
Tony
I like that Tony!  The contrast is beautiful.