Anyone build a cyclone stand?
Mongo, I just got a new G0441 yesterday and I will be building a stand for it this week. I'm planning to just use framing lumber and plywood. Unistrut is nice but a little too rich for my blood. I'm not a big fan of wall mount brackets since they transfer all the vibration right into the walls and make for a whole lot of noise that resonates throughout the whole shop. I will post some pictures as soon as I have it done.
Mr Perez that is a piece of work. Nice job. I had a cyclone for a while, and my stand was 2x and plywood. Sucker sure did, but even with big time hearing protection it about made me deaf. I took a beating on that deal.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(02-23-2017, 05:40 PM)Steve N Wrote: Mr Perez that is a piece of work. Nice job. 

Thanks, fellas.  Truth be told, I made it out of Unistrut because I knew how to work with it, having managed a few large scale communications infrastructure projects in a past life.  

And I didn't know how to weld.  
Slap
(02-23-2017, 06:05 AM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Mongo, I just got a new G0441 yesterday and I will be building a stand for it this week. I'm planning to just use framing lumber and plywood. Unistrut is nice but a little too rich for my blood. I'm not a big fan of wall mount brackets since they transfer all the vibration right into the walls and make for a whole lot of noise that resonates throughout the whole shop. I will post some pictures as soon as I have it done.

Hi Dave,

You will enjoy the G0441 it has a huge amount of suction and does an amazing job separating out the fines... At least my one from 2007? or so does.   Since I am sitting on spare construction lumber and plywood from some recent home projects so  I am a leaning in that direction, though Cian's setup looks nice.   Not sure if they have changed the recommended height but you might play with it.  When I mounted mine in in my last shop at the recommended height getting the drum out from under it was annoying.  An extra inch would have made it much easier.   I am thinking of a set of leveling casters underneath so it can be moved if necessary, are you planning anything like that?

I am sure you will get yours done first since its your day job, I look foreward to seeing what you come up with.

Thanks
(02-22-2017, 09:32 PM)Cian Wrote: I made my own stand because:
1) I needed it to be a custom height to fit beneath the ceiling joists in my basement shop.
2) I wanted it mobile to easily slide in and out of the alcove where it would reside, to allow cleaning the filter easier.
3) Because I could.

[Image: IMG_1446.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1445.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1440.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1697.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1747.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1749.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1745.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1764.jpg]

Cian, that is the nicest looking stand for a cyclone I have seen, still remember when you made it.  Thanks for the info on the unistrut... didn't realize it was so easy to find...   what did you use for casters.  Are they just mounted on wood blocks?  hard to tell from the pics.  Anything you would do different now?

Thanks
I can already see the recommended height isn't ideal. I have the stand built and removing the drum will be tight.  Luckily I planned to make some isolator feet out of isodamp so I will just build them a little thicker to give me a few more inches of height. I ended up using some 8/4 poplar with plywood ripped into 3 1/2" wide strips as the cross bracing. It is really stable.
(02-23-2017, 10:21 PM)mongo Wrote: what did you use for casters.  Are they just mounted on wood blocks?  hard to tell from the pics.  Anything you would do different now?

Thanks

For casters, I made wooden inserts that fit into the Unistrut.  There's a sizable Pax screw that mounts the base plate to the insert's tenon that is not seen in these pics.  

[Image: IMG_1675.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1677.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1678.jpg]
I had noodled the design in my notebook over several months while I was building other areas of my shop.  It was "engineered" so that the upper sub-frame that the cyclone mounts to can be height-adjustable by simply sliding it up or down the legs and secured in place by the nut hardware.  This was key to allow for the cylone to fit in my basement shop.  

[Image: IMG_1698.jpg]
The splay in the legs are even wide enough to allow for the catch basin to slide out as well.

[Image: IMG_2577.jpg]
It turned out better than desired, so there's nothing really I would change.

EDIT:  I'm gonna recant.  If I had to do it over again, I may have gone with a JDS or similar cyclone from the get-go.  This wasn't available when I bought my Oneida though. The JDS already has a built-in stand with casters, auto-flapper for the filter, standard wireless remote, and its overall height of 68" (2hp) or 86" (3hp) would have posed no challenge fitting in my basement space.

[Image: 3HP-Cyclone-3100CK-470x576.jpg]
(02-23-2017, 06:05 AM)Dave Diaman Wrote: I'm not a big fan of wall mount brackets since they transfer all the vibration right into the walls and make for a whole lot of noise that resonates throughout the whole shop. I will post some pictures as soon as I have it done.

One of the reasons I went free standing too.  I didn't want any vibrations or associated noise being transferred to my residence. 
Crazy

Plus there was my ceiling height issue as well.

I've never seen you do anything half-butt, Dave.  Looking forward to seeing your end solution.
Cian, my stand is nothing fancy. The top is 3/4" ply with supports under it. The legs are 8/4 poplar. The cross braces are 8/4 poplar and ply. Everything is assembled using timberloc lag bolts. Like I said, nothing fancy but very strong. I still need to put the isolator feet on but as you can see the dust collector isn't even fully assembled yet. It took three people just to lift the blower and motor into place. The thing is a beast. I'm still a little confused as to why a 3hp motor is supposed to pull 22 amps though. That is only a little less than most of my 5hp motors pull. Either the motor is very inefficient or the motor is actually a little more than 3hp. 

photo A87FDE03-BD5A-470F-8083-7353D5B0F394_zpsynla1hz9.jpg
(02-24-2017, 09:14 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: It took three people just to lift the blower and motor into place. The thing is a beast.

Solid looking stand.  The clean lines and edges are typical of your attention to detail.  I'm sure mine wouldnt have appeared so nice.

The Oneida was a challenge as well.  I assembled the components that I could lift onto the stand a piece at a time, but had a buddy come over a while later to help me lift the final motor assembly on top.  That was a PITA.  Really should've been a 3-man job.  
Crazy

[Image: IMG_1680.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1690.jpg]