Nicholson with a twist
I was contemplating building a second workbench for the shop to replace my beater bench. The beater bench was basically a small portable bench I made for the first Woodworking in American at Berea College. It was functional for the intended purpose but it commanded a prominent place in my shop and it just wasn't much to look at. You can see part of it below holding the maple slab that would become the top to the kitchen island. Like I said, it's not much to look at.

[Image: kisland6.jpg]

I was trying to sort out what kind of bench I wanted to build. I was thinking some sort of Nicholson bench might compliment my Shaker styled bench but I still had not come up with what details might make it somewhat unique.

I was standing in the kitchen one night and started looking at our kitchen island and that's where an idea started to form.

[Image: islandcomplete1.jpg]

As I was looking at the island it occurred to me, "that's a work bench with no vises", and so an idea was born. I began formulating the idea for a Nicholson bench with turned legs. But I didn't want it to be just any Nicholson bench. You know the kind. Made from construction grade lumber with minimal work holding devices. I didn't want to make a bench that was similar to what many build as an interim bench that would do until they could get around to building the Roubo of the their dreams.

Now I realize that those construction lumber budget Nicholson benches served a great purpose for many people, but when looking at that form of bench I really believed that a lot of more could be done. I believed one could build a Nicholson bench that would be unique, highly functional with great work holding devices and if made from select grade hardwoods could in fact be a forever bench.

And the end result. This bench is made from soft maple and features the BenchCrafted Classic Leg vise and Wagon vise. It's every bit as functional as my Shaker bench, actually more so because the leg vise has the Criss Cross device that eliminated the need for the bothersome parallel guide. I've already started the retrofit of this device to my Shaker bench. If you would like to follow the build here's a link to the starting post on my blog.

http://breseplane.blogspot.com/2016/05/p...bench.html

Subsequent post chronicle the build.

Thanks for looking, have a nice day,

Ron

[Image: nbdone.jpg]

[Image: completed6.jpg]
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
Very nicely done!
Ag
Beautifully done, as we have come to expect from you.  Are you using both benches in your shop?
I pondered a Nicholson with vise hardware something like that, but it would not have looked that good....

Andy-- mos maiorum

-- mos maiorum
Nice repurpose. Man of my heart.

Mike some projects really require a lot of bench real estate so having two benches really helps. Also my eldest some is getting more and more interested in woodworking so having two benches comes in handy when he has a chance to visit, or when I do joint projects with my other woodworking friends.

Ron
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
Great looking bench, Ron!
I was watching that build on the Benchcrafted blog, very nice.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere