Please tell me about track saws
(02-15-2017, 12:25 PM)MN1965 Wrote: That's certainly what I've heard, too.  Dang it's hard to wrap my head around that track staying in place without clamps, though.
Smile

I have seen a few examples of persons who could not keep a tracksaw sawing straight without the aid of clamps. I think a lot of that is how much history do you have pushing a circular saw, and could you do straight cuts with one without a guide. Many people cannot. If however you can, using a tracksaw with a rubberized base can be done without clamping it down first. I just wanted to pop in a factoid so it applies to all users.

Tracksaws as mentioned by many are great, and are very quick to use. If you frequently cut down plywood, do trim work, or built in cabinetry for a living, you NEED one. If you cut two sheets of plywood a year, you can get by just fine with a home made shoe, and some painters tape, using your circular saw.

[Image: 62514.jpg]

The article This shows the how to make, and especially the how to use.

Now if you just want to spend some ca$h go for it
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I got a great deal on the cordless dewalt track saw a number of years ago, and found it useful enough that when one of the batteries died, I just bought a corded saw.

I really like it for breaking down sheet goods just drop a piece of foam board insulation on the floor and lay the plywood on it and you have a work surface that you can cut into and not damage the saw, or drop the cutoff.

I have also used it to take the live edge off an 8/4 hickory slab, something I think the cordless saw would have struggled with.

I'd probably trade the cordless saw off if I thought I could get anything for it, but I'm keeping the corded dewalt track saw, and if it disappeared, I would definite buy another one.

Duke

Also as someone else already mentioned the plunge action really is nice when you want to cut a piece out of the middle of a sheet of plywood.

This is something that I know some people will do regularly with a standard circular saw, and I know this because I see the resulting injury from kickback.
(02-15-2017, 04:49 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Grab another cup of coffee. No they are not a joke. Believe it or not, it's the first company/production  made track system that came out. All the others out there copied Dino's hard efforts.

Was he making tracksaws prior to 1964?
(02-15-2017, 04:08 PM)jppierson Wrote: I do not agree that track saws, paricularly the EZ system are a joke.  I happen to own the EZ system, and do not own a table saw.  It is a good system, and is a worthy alternative to the other track saw systems when you already own a circular saw.  You will lose approx 1/2" depth of cut due to the base you install on the saw.  This isn't an issue when cutting sheet goods or 1-1/2" thick lumber.  If you want to cut 2-by get an 8-1/2" or larger saw.  In fact several users of this system have bases attached to different sized saws ranging from trim saws to the 16" monsters.  Track saws are great for breaking down sheet goods.  They are also useful for live edge lumber as well as other stuff that you would cut on a table saw.  EZ system also sells saws with bases and dust collection capability already installed if that is what you want to do.  They (Track saws) don't do dados, but you could cut one by moving the track appropriately.  I really like the business end of the spinning blade being separated from my fingers by the wood and saw base.  I like working with hand tools, so a track saw takes a lot of effort out of ripping and cross-cutting to rough dimension outside where clean up is easy.  I keep my EZ System table setup in my shop, and it doesn't take long to disassemble and move it elsewhere.  The table is set up with a tracking lifting mechanism that acts like a clamp and enables you to gang cut multiple pieces of wood in a single pass. Another advantage is that I can use the optional router base and set up tunnel routing decorative eges, or cut dados using the same track.  Like any other new tool to your arsenal, you need to experiment some to get over the learning curve.  But basically, just think of an upside down table saw and you will get the jist.  Hope this helps.

Plus One ..............
I own a Festool purchased around '75 - back when Bob Marino had a day job. Anyway, I like it well enough to consider giving up my table saw. The only thing I haven't figured out how to do with a track saw is to cut thin rips (3/4") off a board thinner than the track by a decent margin. The parallel guides that mount on the MFT are an answer but that is a $$$ answer. I do have the impression that a track saw and a bandsaw will do everything a tablesaw can.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(02-18-2017, 08:18 PM)cputnam Wrote:  The only thing I haven't figured out how to do with a track saw is to cut thin rips (3/4") off a board thinner than the track by a decent margin.

Hi Curt

The guy in this video goes to a lot of work to make a base so the saw rides flat.

I am just showing this so you know to lay the track flat, non tippy, you need to place another piece of stock the same thickness as what you are cutting under the non cut side of the track. He goes way further than I have ever had to go. I've only owned DeWalts, and they do fine just laying it on the two pieces of stock, and then make your cut. Try it on some 2x4's or something cheap to see how you feel about it. I saw some trim guys using a Festool for cutting thin strips of plastic 1x4 material, and they were just getting it. You will know when you get too thin on the cut side, it will just feel wrong, and you won't want to make that cut. If you butt it up against a third piece of stock you can cut to almost the very edge of the cut stock.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(02-15-2017, 10:23 AM)MN1965 Wrote: I've been watching the popularity of track saws increase over the past few years and wondering if it might be time to add one. It seems like DeWalt and Festool are the two most popular with each having their following.  

I currently have a Sawstop table saw and DeWalt cordless trim saw.  Would the track saw be a worthwhile investment in between the two?  I know people have their brand preferences, but any others I should seriously consider other than the two mentioned?  Any feedback on the cordless models?  I like the idea of the portability, but do they have adequate power?

Thanks!
Mike

Makita got "best value" in this helpful review I found doing my own research for an eventual track saw purchase.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
EZ System's solution to thin cuts.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrrjLYn-6WY
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
No idea if the Grizzly is worth buying but this deal is low risk IMO

$250 for it all

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/6014307063.html

[Image: 00t0t_lQkbweqAAPi_600x450.jpg]
[Image: 00101_l8pYs83K6Ua_600x450.jpg]
[Image: 00U0U_5Nx23M2wJO3_600x450.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Been using th EZsmart system for years.  I use it on a cutting table to cut full-sized sheet goods to finished dimensions in my garage, before bringing the components down into my basement shop.  I dig it.