Anyone know whats the story with Grizzly and their inventory?
I live only a few miles from the Bellingham Store and they are a good place to deal with, always helpful and courteous.  My impression coming from chats with the two very excellent salesmen are they are very dependent on the manufacturers for their equipment.  I have been after a drill bit set for a year, the supplier to Grizzly has been unable to fill the grizzly order. So, it is not Grizzly that is the problem, but most likely the sources.
(02-18-2017, 08:00 PM)RonHeberle Wrote: I was wondering the same about the jointers. I wanted the Jet or Powermatic but couldn't justify the difference in price and finally ordered the G0656 8"jointer the other day. I was told delivery isn't expected till the end of April. I  saw this same jointer was out of stock last year. Wonder why they don't order more. Do they wait for enough orders before actually ordering these machines to get better shipping cost which I presume is by ship? Anyway I'll wait to spring.
Smile

I have always just ordered whatever it was I wanted, and they have always gotten it to me a lot quicker than the estimate, plus I've not been billed until it shipped. I always check my credit card on something said to be out of stock, because them using my $$$$$$ while they get their stuff together is a deal breaker for me. CPO has billed me like that, and they no longer get any business from me. Amazon, Tools Plus, Griz, and several others play fair, but I still check
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Remember when Papa Grizz would have posted to this thread already?
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Yes..
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-21-2017, 08:08 PM)Richard D. Wrote: Remember when Papa Grizz would have posted to this thread already?

+1

The supplier issues make sense. 

But you would think they would have leverage......guess thats what happens when you do business with China.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I don't know if it's Grizzly's model, but I worked for many years in the computer/printer industry and that is exactly how it works.  When you move billions of dollars of product, having it sit in a warehouse costs a lot of money, even if it's just one day.  We went to great pains to coordinate the arrival of the product on the ship with when the customer was placing the order.  

A good amount of the product never even gets offloaded into a warehouse, it comes right out of the shipping container and onto a truck.  Once it's on the truck, you can invoice, so you only own the products for the time it takes to get out of the port and onto a truck.  This is standard model for a lot of product you see in your local retailers.  Stocking product=wasted dollars.  

Joe
Hanjin shipping's bankruptcy might have impacted Grizzly's deliveries also....

Hanjin sinks.....

Ed
Hmm. Not good. That'll have a ripple effect
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-19-2017, 12:35 PM)opticsguy Wrote: I have been after a drill bit set for a year, the supplier to Grizzly has been unable to fill the grizzly order. So, it is not Grizzly that is the problem, but most likely the sources.

I don't know the reason behind Grizzly's issues but sounds like the sales guy is just making excuses or regurgitating the ones he's been given.  There is no way the manufacturer of a drill bit set can't deliver after a year.  My guess is they don't want to put together the necessary order for that supplier or they are trying to purge off inventory of other sets.

I'm just speculating but sounds like me Grizzly is trying to manage their inventory and inventory turns and it's causing them some issues.
I tend to agree with Brian..  I am in business and carry a lot of inventory..     We pay 3% right now annually for inventory money ..  There has never been a cheaper time to carry inventory than the last few years. 

Warehousing is another conversation piece.   If your using public warehousing, then sure ..keep it lean...  if you own the building your putting the stock in  ( Cough ) .. then there is no real added cost to carrying stock in a warehouse.  

A $1000 machine would literally cost $2.50 a month to stock.  

Grizz would pay for the machines before they left China or Taiwan...  The containers would be unloaded probably at a Grizz warehouse. 

This just sounds like ordering problems.
Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.
Ayn Rand