Enduro-Var question
That is kind of what I am debating. I bought it from Woodcraft so I need to find out what their return policy is. I don't have the receipt anymore and I did use about a quart out of the gallon. Also what happens if the next $100 gal isn't any better?
Will this help ?
  General Finishes, 2462 Corporate Circle, East Troy, WI 53120
800.783.6050 (F) 262.642.4707 or 262.642.4545
www.generalfinishes.com
 I would start with a call to them.    Roly
Roly makes a good point, you might want to talk to them first.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-23-2017, 02:48 PM)Bope Wrote: That is kind of what I am debating. I bought it from Woodcraft so I need to find out what their return policy is. I don't have the receipt anymore and I did use about a quart out of the gallon. Also what happens if the next $100 gal isn't any better?

The odds of getting two bad gallons is low unless they came from the same Lot/shipment.  By a quart or gallon from another store. 

John
So I just got off the phone with General Finishes. I am not sure what they are putting on the technical specs but they claim the semi-gloss enduroVar is one of their lowest viscosity top coats. Having a viscosity in the 30 sec range is very typical. He also said this product is made for wiping on small DYI projects. He would not recommend it for table tops. I might try rubbing out the rough vertical sides. If the sheen looks off then I will try a final wiping coat to level it all out. I am not trying to strip it and use something else. This is a family room game table not a heavily used kitchen table.
I've never measured a Ford #4 cup viscosity of less than mid 40's for EnduroVar, regardless of which sheen.  If the semi-gloss has a viscosity around 30 seconds why would they not list that on their TDS?  They list the product as 50 - 60 seconds with no mention about it being different depending upon which sheen you have.  Makes absolutely no sense to me.  And why do they say it can be sprayed or brushed or rolled, but never mention it can be used as a wiping varnish?

EnduroVar might not be my #1 choice for a kitchen table finish, but it's the most chemically durable WB product I've used, and is essentially on par with Arm-R-Seal.  Perhaps he wanted you to use their WB conversion varnish.  

Are you sure you were talking with General Finishes and not Target Coatings about GF's products? 

John
I assumed Roly isn't a corporate spy and listed a valid phone number. The lady on the other end did answer as General Finishes. I have no idea what the person she connected me with does in the company. Another comment the guy made was that EnduroVar was a revolutionary finish that got great reviews for things it was not intended for. At this point I am not real impressed with their customer support.
It does sound like the contract custodian answered the phone when you called.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-02-2017, 07:54 AM)Bope Wrote: I assumed Roly isn't a corporate spy and listed a valid phone number. The lady on the other end did answer as General Finishes. I have no idea what the person she connected me with does in the company. Another comment the guy made was that EnduroVar was a revolutionary finish that got great reviews for things it was not intended for. At this point I am not real impressed with their customer support.

I just came up with the phone number online from their web site.     I agree it was a surprising answer as I have found other finishing companies were glad to help and had knowledgeable people to answer questions.   Roly
Maybe 5 or 6 years ago I called GF and asked to speak to someone in product development.  The lady connected me right away with a guy who really new his stuff and was happy to talk in detail about their products.  A couple of years ago when they went from MSDS's to SDS's, I called again and asked to speak with someone in product development, and the lady would only refer me to customer service.  Try as I did, they would not let me speak to someone who actually knew the details of their products. 

It sounds like they have dumbed down CS even more since then. 

On the plus side, I just used some more Enduro White Poly.  Wow, it is nice stuff.  Sprays beautifully and flows out into a dead flat film.  Very nice.

John