Minwax antique oil finish
Hi all,
 I'm thinking of trying this on a Black Walnut keep sake box.

I'll try it on a sample board to see if I like it.

But long term--any one who has used it.  any likes, dislikes ?

thanks
                     Jim
-- jbmaine
I use it quite a bit. Really like it. Seems to have a high varnish content and each successive coat will dry faster. Final coats, I rub on with white scotchbrite pads. Its comparable to their Tung Oil finish, but a bit darker.

Local big box stores do not carry it so I order it through a local (mom & pop) hardware store.
According to Flexner, it's just very thin varnish (wiping varnish). Might use some of your varnish stash to mix your own (50/50 with MS)
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Fred, I do mix my own, but its simply much more convenient to use something premixed. Besides, after using it a bunch, I would remove the word "very" from Flexner's statement. Its not really that thin. It also does not gel in the container like DIY mixes tend to do. The darker color of the Antique oil looks really nice on cherry.

The guys at Old Street Tool Inc. prefer the Minwax Antique Oil for their wooden planes so that's a good recommendation in my opinion.
I may have misspoke...Flexner probably didn't use the words "very thin", those are mine I guess. I got that from the MSDS sheet which shows it as 65% solvent by weight.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
thanks for the replies. I'll try it on a sample board.
                                  Jim
-- jbmaine
Put this on my Tage Frid-design workbench 30 years ago.   Still protecting.