Drawer Open - Drawer Close
My GDIL wants a chest made for our GGSON where opening one drawer forces another drawer that is open to close. I have this feature on file cabinets, but I've never seen it on a chest of drawers. Does anyone have a solution?

r2
I saw an article in a magazine once where it was just a simple cable/cord fixed to the back of the drawers. When one was opened the tension pulled the other back in. Perhaps google could turn it up I can't remember where I saw it.
-Marc

The one thing for any chest for a child is to tether it to the wall so it cannot fall over.    Even if only one drawer can open at a time the kids will try to use the open drawer as a step stool or several drawers as a ladder.  Tether it tight so it cannot tip enough to open the drawers.   I would think this may solve the problem.   If not a series of pulleys and a cable with just enough slack for one drawer to be open.    I can see where the slack could cause problems.   How is it done on file cabinets ?   Roly
self closing drawer slides

one still has to push it nearly closed though
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I've not seen that even on file cabinets. There are mechanisms that only allow one drawer to open if the other is closed, but what you describe would be a lot neater. If (when) you figure that out I'd be interested in seeing the solution.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Sounds like Magic
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I've seen the same solution that Mark talked about.  You put a screw eye in the back of every drawer and run a cord through them all, tying one end to the bottom screw eye.  Now open one drawer, snug the cord and tie it off at the screw eye on the top drawer.  Enjoy the magic. 

John
I've seen it on 2 drawer boxes with a false back, multi drawer you would need a main lead, and a lot of back and forth, and I think most of the time it would be a mess. I've only seen it on 2 drawers at a time. If someone has some pics, or better yet a video of a multi drawer please post it up.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Two drawers or twelve, it works the same way. 

John
I can see that working my question is how to deal with the slack line when all the drawers are closed. 

Some sort of spring or a weight maybe?
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy