led shop light ?
are there any led shop lights that are similar to the fluorescent lights where they use bulb replacements.  I know you can convert the fluorescent ones to led but I'm talking off the shelf led lights with replaceable bulbs.  Maybe I'm just not looking close at them but they all look like the leds are fixed in the light.  So when they go bad you replace the light.  Am I wrong on this?
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
yeah, I wouldn't expect to ever see a led shop light with discrete bulbs.  Just doesn't make sense from a manufacturing viewpoint

HD has a shop  light for $25 right now.  They didn't have one on display, so I couldn't get too interested in it
(02-22-2017, 06:49 PM)oscarMadison Wrote: are there any led shop lights that are similar to the fluorescent lights where they use bulb replacements.  I know you can convert the fluorescent ones to led but I'm talking off the shelf led lights with replaceable bulbs.  Maybe I'm just not looking close at them but they all look like the leds are fixed in the light.  So when they go bad you replace the light.  Am I wrong on this?

Hi - not sure that I understand your question, in my basement workshop I have one old 4 ft fluorescent fixture w/ 2 bulbs - is that your inquiry?

I also have bare single ceiling sockets that I now have LED lights in place which I purchased from Rockler - below are shown the two types in use, one w/ a reflector and the others a bare looking bulb - the ones that I bought are about 2500 lumens each, which is about 150 Watt incandescent equivalent, but 1/4 the wattage - note that the color temperature in Kelvin is 4000, i.e. daylight which is fine w/ me in the shop.  Not sure if this is what you wanted to know?  If so, check Rockler or google - plenty of other sources.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
i am just looking for something similar to the 4 foot tube shop lights where you can replace the tube only in an led version. The 4 foot led shoplights I've seen you can't remove so once they burn out you have to replace the whole unit.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
you should probably buy fluorescent shop lights while you still can and retrofit
I have the fixed led 4' ones you are talking about.

they provide veryb good lighting.

by the time they burn out in ten years I won't feel bad about replacing the entire unit.

at $30 apiece, they are cheaper than a retrofit, and probably also much cheaper than buying and installing replacement leds.
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne
I bought 20 of these lights when Costco had them on sale last fall. Now I'm waiting for them to go on sale again so I can buy another 6-8. (BTW, in the stores these are not 2 packs, but single units at $30/ea.) They are fixed lamps, no bulbs and like Mike said, when they go out in 10 years (fingers crossed) I'll just buy replacement fixtures. These things really put out good light, are cheap enough, and while it doesn't justify them by itself...they use almost no electricity (6 of them pull ~2 amps total). If you're still dead set against that type of fixture, just take yours and convert to the type that doesn't need the ballast. Before i bought these, my plan was to find old T8 fixtures and convert them that way...the ones I bought are nicer and probably cost less.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
the leds aren't going to burn out in 10 years.  The power supply might.  There are people that tear down led lights and post the results on the internet.  Haven't seen a teardown for one of the shop lights, the usual problem is capacitors.  They probably aren't going to go out any faster than a ballast would.

On edit: the one teardown I found of a Fiet light had plenty of caps in the power circuits, so that is some concern for longevity. Easy fix though
Those LED 4 ft replacements look great and likely will outlive me - 
Yes

Curious - I now have one fluorescent 4' (2 lamps) in my basement shop and one in the garage - what is the best way to dispose of these long bulky items, especially the bulbs, which present a potential mercury hazard?  Thanks - Dave
Smile

Quote:Lamp Recycling
Energy efficient fluorescent lamps can contribute to a cleaner environment, but they must be handled properly.
In most cases, fluorescent lamps present the single greatest risk of mercury exposure in the workplace. Because it is very likely that discarded fluorescent bulbs will be broken during conventional waste handling, the risk of occupational exposures or environmental contamination is high.
Visit LampTracker product page to start recycling your fluorescent bulbs.
Piedmont North Carolina
(02-23-2017, 06:56 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I bought 20 of these lights when Costco had them on sale last fall...These things really put out good light, are cheap enough, and while it doesn't justify them by itself...they use almost no electricity (6 of them pull ~2 amps total)...are nicer and probably cost less.

+1
...Makes that SawStop look real cheap right about now..........(Nate1778, 07/11/2008)