Hand Shaping Knife Scales
(02-27-2017, 04:08 PM)CLETUS Wrote: I'd epoxy and rough in the handles on the bandsaw or belt sander before going on vacation.

You can do all of the finish work while wasting the day in your rocking chair.
Raised

I'd rather do vacation stuff while on vacation.

Of course this is partly your fault for posting that Alabama Damascus knife a while ago.  Am considering one of their blanks.

My "vacation stuff" is hanging out in Maine playing with wood.  I get very little time to do this at home, so this is my vacation.

I did plan to do the drilling at home, but if I do the epoxy and shaping at home, what's left?  Sit on a chair and buff the handles?

Are you suggesting that I need to develop other habits hobbies?  
No 

Steve
(02-27-2017, 08:34 PM)Steve Friedman Wrote: I did plan to do the drilling at home, but if I do the epoxy and shaping at home, what's left?  Sit on a chair and buff the handles?

I was referring to the rough shaping at home. I may do things a bit differently... I get the handled roughed in, then it may take me a week or more to get the handle "perfect". I'll shape and sand, then put the knife down for a day or two. Then when I pick it up, I take my initial gut feeling on how it felt. Do some more sanding and put it down. Rinse and repeat until I pick up the knife and it feels perfect. Then I sand it out to 320.

It's your vacation, do whatever makes you happy.
Big Grin
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15