Lights in the attic
Who wants 60 watt bulbs. I want 100 watts. If i am going to put a light bulb up there make it count.
John T.
(02-25-2017, 06:21 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Where do you live where you can't buy light-bulbs?

Where do you live where you can buy 100 watt bulbs any more. I am never looking for 60 watt bulbs for an attic. I want something that will throw some light so I do not have to put 50 lights up there.
John T.
I can't get 100 watt, I think the feds made them go poof. But I know Menards (and maybe others like Lowes) still has 150 and even 250 watt incandescents. If you want to warm your attic, go ahead and get them. I use them in the pole barn for light.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Use THESE from HD or I am sure you can get them in many places.    They use 72 watts to produce 100 watt equivalent.   Not knowing what area you live, how hot is hot and how cold .     Roly
(02-25-2017, 10:08 AM)Roly Wrote: Use THESE from HD or I am sure you can get them in many places.    They use 72 watts to produce 100 watt equivalent.   Not knowing what area you live, how hot is hot and how cold .     Roly

If I go to something like that I will have to install some kind of safety cage over those. This is an attic where things will be moved around and possible breakage. Those halogen lights are a safety hazard. Most people do not realize this. They see a bulb that looks like the regular incandescents but when broken can present more dangers than a normal bulb. Just keep that in mind when you buy  those. They do sell the metal cages for around those. Maybe the cheapest way out. By the way I live in NJ. hot is hot and cold is cold.
John T.
(02-25-2017, 09:57 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I can't get 100 watt, I think the feds made them go poof. 

That's why I stocked up before they went poof.  I have a lifetime supply for the garage and attic.  
Laugh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
as did I, but probably not as many as you have.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Boy I wish I did. I did not really think they would go through with it. 

It has been 70 degrees here in the middle of Feb that I am just thinking I better get this job done before the real heat gets here. will be shopping in Home Depot next week.
John T.
I put a string of those construction lights in mine.  I'm sure you've seen them - about 5-6 lights spaced 6-8' apart.  They have a plastic "birdcage" around each bulb and all of them are on one wire.  100 watt bulbs will light it up but they throw some heat too.

Lonnie
Hung plenty of those in my day. Not worried about heat from light bulbs. It will be plenty hot from temp. Length of the ranch house 5 or 6 should get me there. Put my material list together so a matter of shopping.
John T.