Going rate for roofing
Can someone give me an idea of the current going rate for an asphalt roofing is, inclusive of materials, removal and labor?  I am seeing $400/sq, using 30 year architectural shingles.  We will do a tearoff.  We are assuming the OSB underneath is good.  A man gave me a quote and I suspect his price is good, but I want to do a sanity check.  The man has done work for me 3 times in the past, and therefore I am more interested in just making sure his price is in the ballpark than I am getting 3 quotes and checking references.  Thanks.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
350/square was my base price for full tear off and architectural replace. $50 per square additional to upgrade the tar paper to breathable mesh, sturdier edge shingles, upgraded ridge vent and 50 year warranty.
I'm using a couple lead services to generate business for my home inspection business. Roofers use them also. Thumbtack and Home Advisor. Both services do background checks. Home Advisor's is a little more in-depth.

You can get quotes, sight unseen if you request quotes through either one. If you use Home Advisor, you will get calls from three roofers. If you use Thumbtack, you will get emails from five roofers but no phone calls. They won't have your email address or ph# as it is sent through Thumbtack's server and hidden from the contractor. You'll only get one email from each unless you initiate further contact. You will see reviews and profiles of each bidder. It doesn't cost you anything.

Obviously, the price might change when they see your roof but you should get a good idea and at that point, you'll have information on several roofers so you can get another look from one of them.

Just be complete (sq ft, type of roofing desired, tear-off, new gutters, skylihts etc) in your description. Generally, the contractors responding are smaller, less established contractors. I tend to bomb my price to get these jobs through these lead providers and I'm still only low about 50% of the time.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

roofing rates very by area of the country. what the rates here in metro Detroit are may seem either high or low to other parts of the country.
might help to know yer location
2 years ago I paid about $300/sq. for tear off, new tar paper, and architectural shingles. But it does vary by region and probably several other factors. The quotes I got ran from about $275/sq. to $400/sq. (same criteria)
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-27-2017, 09:20 AM)tomsteve Wrote: might help to know yer location

The old interface showed our location.  I am in western NY.  I know we are a bit higher here than just across the border in PA,  but much less than NYC.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
My 2,000 square foot ranch house needed a new roof 15 years ago and I got prices from $4,000.00 to $8,000.00.  So shop around.

Metal roofs are more expensive to buy, but cheaper to own.  They make metal roofs that install like shingles and look like shingles.   They last 50 + years.  

A 25 year asphalt roof can look pretty bad after 20 years.  

This is a metal roof:
[Image: rustic-shingle-in-deep-charcoal.jpg]

More examples:  https://www.google.com/search?q=shingle+...gC#imgrc=_

Here is a cost comparison of asphalt vs metal roof:  http://www.hometownroofingcontractors.co...le-roofing
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-27-2017, 08:53 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I'm using a couple lead services to generate business for my home inspection business. Roofers use them also. Thumbtack and Home Advisor. Both services do background checks. Home Advisor's is a little more in-depth.

Not to go too far off-topic, but I tried both services (based on your comment) to get an estimate on a couple of items, floor refinishing and windows.  Included detailed descriptions and photos.  Not many contractors responded, and only one of those that did actually gave a quote.  The others wanted a phone number to call and come out.  Not sure what the benefit of those services would be if you still have to go through the whole home visit/quote/negotiation thing.

I'm curious if that has been your experience.  I suppose it is a little different with home inspection, probably more a fixed cost and less variables to estimate.
You will see some difference in rate ( some rising or falling ) from one contractor to another, It will be better to take quote from multiple for the same work and than you can compare in their rate and services.
my roof was just destroyed in a hail storm last week.  Just got an estimate of $16,000 to replace it.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere