Going rate for roofing
(04-06-2017, 07:53 AM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: my roof was just destroyed in a hail storm last week.  Just got an estimate of $16,000 to replace it.

That's how we get new roofs here. We have so many hail storms that the roofers have driven up the cost of roofing so much because the insurance companies are paying for it that you can't afford to replace your roof unless you have a hail storm and insurance  claim... 

Insurance greatly raises prices of any service that they cover...
Locally we have had an active arsonist.  I understand how that works.  How do you start a hail storm?
Slap

I should have waited for a hail storm !
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(04-06-2017, 04:21 PM)Cecil Wrote: Locally we have had an active arsonist.  I understand how that works.  How do you start a hail storm?
Slap

I should have waited for a hail storm  
   We happen to live in the hail capitol of the us. The county we are in has the highest cost of hail damage insurance  claims in the country. So here just wait cause it will happen. It's the grapefruit size stuff that gets dangerous.
Huge variation in costs guaranteed. Labor rates here are cheap so is the cost of living though. What's funny is we've got pretty good labor but quite a shortage. I'm sure thats everywhere though. Regardless. Labor is about 40 tear off 40 install/ sq. Use to be 30 each a few years ago but it's up. Shingles now are 90/ sq. I'd talk to local people the labor rates can vary too much.
Everybody blamed his old man for makin him mean as a snake. When Amos Moses was a boy his daddy would use him for alligator bait!
-Jerry Reed

Larry
(04-06-2017, 08:40 PM)LarryK Wrote: Huge variation in costs guaranteed. Labor rates here are cheap so is the cost of living though. What's funny is we've got pretty good labor but quite a shortage.  I'm sure thats everywhere though.  Regardless.  Labor is about 40 tear off 40 install/ sq.  Use to be 30 each a few years ago but it's up. Shingles now are 90/ sq.  I'd talk to local people the labor rates can vary too much.

Yeah shingle prices have skyrocketed in recent years. No labor shortage here just a shortage of people that will pay what it's worth.
(04-06-2017, 08:27 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:    We happen to live in the hail capitol of the us. The county we are in has the highest cost of hail damage insurance  claims in the country. So here just wait cause it will happen. It's the grapefruit size stuff that gets dangerous.

I know they happen.  I am approaching 60 and I have only ever seen 1 storm like that.  It was very localized and did not hit where we lived, so our house was spared.  The car was heavily dimpled though.  We took pictures of a hail stone in one hand and a softball in the other.  We often get hail, but it is only the annoying, pea sized stuff.

Roof should be finished tomorrow.
This will be my third new roof in last 15 years due to hail.  I don't think I'll ever wear one out.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
I had mine replaced by the insurance company because of hail, just an FYI in case you didn't know you were probably covered.
Always ask to a roofing contractor or roof repair expert for the actual price of those shingles. Then compare those prices with others and get it from those which suits the best your budget.
(04-27-2018, 09:23 AM)allencooper Wrote: Always ask to a roofing contractor or SPAM expert for the actual price of those shingles. Then compare those prices with others and get it from those which suits the best your budget.

Replying to a post that is over a year old, just so you can in add a spam link !

[Image: 330px-Spam_can.png]