Bow saw blade
I have a bow saw with no manufacturers name on it. And yes I know the Blade tightening wedge is missing. The blade is basically 12 inches long. The blade in it is a cut off from a band saw blade and leaves something to be desired .  Does anyone know where I can purchase a blade designed for a bow saw of this general size? The blade has holes in it and has a couple of brass screws hold the blade it. I can make a longer stretcher or shorten the one I have to make a new one work.  

Gramercy's is more of a fret blade and has pins instead of holes and it will not work in my saw.

[Image: DSC03124_zpskjsrvg8g.jpg]

Thanks in advance

Tom
Tom-

Highland has this one -

1/16" holes, 11-1/2" on center.

I see some 12" blades on eBay, but know nothing about the quality. You looking for rip or crosscut?

Phil
Thanks for the reply. I looked all over but never gave Highland Hardware a thought. It looks like just what I need. I am looking for a cross cut. I have a big bow saw with both a rip and a cross cut. I small cross cut is easier to keep at the work bench. Most of the time a gents saw has to fine a teeth. I like a bow saw because the blade can be angled and one can just shake hands with it. You don't have to twist the wrist

I really am good at finding things. Usually when people ask I know right where to go. But it never fails, if I don't know where to get it, someone on this forum will. This forum is a great place to get information.

Thanks again,

Tom
One other option to look into....Find a Butcher's saw,  remove the blade, cut it to the length you need, and then drill the new hole.   You can even resharpen them easy enough.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Tom:  just a thought, and Dominick ("Blacky's Boy") may kill me if my idea turns out to be just my brain fart, but it seems that he might be able to tooth and shear you a blade that may fit; you'd have to sharpen it but you'll have to do that anyway.  His website http://tgiag.com/sawplate.html lists a 2" dovetail saw plate:

Dovetail saw (Small)
2" x 12" x 0.020" thk
$20.00

and larger frame saw plates:

Frame Saw Rip Blade (Light)
2" x 28" x 0.025" thk
$29.50
Frame Saw Rip Blade (Medium)
2" x 28" x 0.032" thk
$30.50

so maybe he could fix you up, depending on if you could live with a 2" deep plate, or if he could shear a 1" plate, if that is possible  Again, just a thought. 
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Digressing here, but we watched "The Book Thief" last night, and the basement of the house in Germany (before and during World War II) in which the protagonist and her family live has all kinds of tasty hand tools briefly visible on the walls, including a sweet-looking turning saw.  Whoever did the set furnishings knew older hand tools pretty well.
I, too, have been less than thrilled with the 12" blade from TFWW. It cuts just fine, but at that length it's SO delicate! They're a lot more expensive than coping saw blades, so I hate to break them. I often end up not using my turning saw. If I had a blade that was a full 1/4" wide, I could still cut a good radius in thicker stock without worrying about snapping the blade. The one from Highland looks a little wide, but I may try it out anyway.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I wonder if a bow saw would work good for dovetails and crosscuts?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-01-2017, 02:33 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I wonder if a bow saw would work good for dovetails and crosscuts?

Frank Klaus cuts 'em with a frame saw, watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFqY73lelq8
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thanks

I forgot all about how Frank Klaus does it.  I have all 5 of his DVDs and now remember him doing it.

Are they easy to make?  I do have 2 nice dovetails but no crosscut or rip saws and wondering if there blades 3 blades for one tool?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.