New Planer - in the market
Might be time to step up to a stationary planer; they last pretty much forever.  Unless you store your portable, many stationary units don't take up any more floor space.  A used stationary unit is often no more money than a new high quality portable.  The power and lower noise of a stationary unit are major advantages. 

John
If you're looking for a bench top planer, the latest issue of Wood Magazine has a review of a number of machines. I don't want to be a spoiler but the yellow colored one won.
Give us some more details.

Do you want another bench top planer?

Are you interested in a stationery planer?

Do you have the mechanical ability (and/or desire) to find a 50+ year old cast iron beast and get it running (usually just new belts and bearings)?

What's your budget?

Do you want new?
Semper fi,
Brad

Just saw the sale ad for their 15" stationary planer - $995 If I recall correctly.   It's in a totally different class than the Dewalt and other portable planers.  I made the switch from a delta planer like yours to a Jet 15" planer (different paint, but looks virtually the same as Grizzly) and have never looked back.  Huge difference - if you can swing the extra money, you will find it well worth it.
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
I have a similar planer- the Delta 22-580. It's been a good planer, albeit noisy. A couple of years ago, I converted mine to a Byrd shelix head. Much quieter and a better surface. That said, I wholeheartedly agree that you should look for a stationary planer. They take up marginally more space, and you can get it to be mobile. As long as you have 220v power, or can get 220v power, you'll have a planer for life. Of the lunchbox planers, Dewalt 735 is the way to go. I looked at the LA Craigslist this morning and there's a used Makita lunchbox for only $250. Makita is decent. There wasn't a single stationary planer on LA Craigslist when I looked. Here in SoCal, they don't come up that often, or the ones that do show up were for industrial operations that went out of business and tend to be very large, 3-phase beasts.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(02-28-2017, 03:31 PM)Johnny Currado Wrote: I have a 18 year old Delta Portable Planer 22-560 that I was looking to get parts to replace it only to find out half of the parts I need are now obsolete and not worth fixing this unit.  What is a good planer now a days?  I remember hearing a few years back DeWalt made a good one.  I am open to suggestions.  Thanks!

Hi Johnny - assume that you're looking for a 'new' 12-13" benchtop model - correct?  Last few days, I've been reading the 2017 Fine Woodworking Tool Guide and there is an article on surface planers - the published rating chart is shown below - the top rated DeWalt was both the Editor's and Reader's choice, while the Rigid was the 'best value' machine recommended.  

For myself, I own the 12" Makita (2012NB) and have used the planer over many years (light intermittent use) - 2 easily changed blades, planes well, and little snipe - however, the dust collection is poor - I've been debating on that top DeWalt for a while but the added inch width does not give me much more for my money, and my needs do not justify a large free standing machine.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
I recently replaced my Delta 22-560 with a DW734.  It doesn't have all the bells & whistles of the 735, but it is significantly cheaper.  The 734 is a better machine than the Delta was and I suspect the 735 is even more so.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

In the interest of accuracy, the Ridgid does not offer a lifetime warranty. It has a 3 year new tool guarantee and the first owner can register it with ridgids lifetime service agreement ( done online) and a ridgid authorized repair center will repair whatever is wrong with it for as long as the original owner owns it.
there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
(03-01-2017, 02:34 PM)toolie Wrote: In the interest of accuracy, the Ridgid does not offer a lifetime warranty.  It has a 3 year new tool guarantee and the first owner can register it with ridgids lifetime service agreement ( done online) and a ridgid authorized repair center will repair whatever is wrong with it for as long as the original owner owns it.

OK, let's split a few hairs. IF you buy the Ridgid planer new, and IF you register it with Ridgid properly, and IF you DO NOT abuse it and cause it to malfunction and/or become damaged, you will can have it repaired free of charge at any time should it malfunction due to any other reason, provided you are still the original owner.

In other words, if you buy it new and keep it, you will NEVER have to pay to have it repaired should it malfunction, PROVIDED you didn't abuse it.

Not sure if Dewalt or any other manufacturer provides this kind of coverage - they might, I just haven't researched it - YMMV.

Doug
I suspect if it gets to where it can't be repaired (by Rigid) they would have to pony up a replacement...ya' think?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.