New Planer - in the market
(03-01-2017, 03:22 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I suspect if it gets to where it can't be repaired (by Rigid) they would have to pony up a replacement...ya' think?

If common sense prevails, I'm certain it would be a major component in that particular decision equation. Caveat - common sense does not always prevail, unfortunately!

Doug
(03-01-2017, 03:22 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I suspect if it gets to where it can't be repaired (by Rigid) they would have to pony up a replacement...ya' think?

When I tried to get repair work on Ridgid crap 20 years ago I ended up throwing them out. Still will only go to a HD to buy Behr paint, love Behr paint, or else it would be easy never to step foot in another HD. I read with interest all the people that say those tools are great. Wasn't my experience x 2, all registered and everything. I have cussed many a tool, but have never abused one. I still dislike Orange.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(03-01-2017, 05:40 PM)Steve N Wrote: When I tried to get repair work on Ridgid crap 20 years ago I ended up throwing them out. Still will only go to a HD to buy Behr paint, love Behr paint, or else it would be easy never to step foot in another HD. I read with interest all the people that say those tools are great. Wasn't my experience x 2, all registered and everything. I have cussed many a tool, but have never abused one. I still dislike Orange.

So there you have it, folks. I have several Ridgid tools (admittedly none 20 years old) and have had no more problems with them than any of the other brands I've bought; certainly none have fallen into the "crap" category. I've also had nothing but good experiences with Home Depot, having been a card carrying customer since the company was founded in Atlanta many years ago. 

I too like Behr paint and have used it extensively over the years. It always seems to get high ratings in paint reviews. Sorry you seem to have had the opposite experience.

Doug
I had a dewalt 733 and i had no issues with it,,,except maybe it was loud?
(03-02-2017, 05:01 PM)Marc Wrote: I had a dewalt 733 and i had no issues with it,,,except maybe it was loud?

The big planers aren't quieter. The motor is quieter than a bench top but when cutting the big planers make more noise but at a lower pitch. 

For those that liked or have the old ridgid planer they are still available. The machine has changed hands a few times once under steel city.  

Here is the current version with a spiral cutter head. Not sure how it cuts but all the parts including the cutter head are available but the plastic is in black instead of grey or orange.http://www.cutechtool.com/product-p/40200h-ct.htm  

The cutter head is $250 and doesn't have many cutters. They have hss cutters and carbide.
The Tool Gods have been good to me.

My 1st planer was a factory rebuilt Delta 13" two speed - decent planer.
Then I found a (barely) used DeWalt 735 (with in-feed and out-feed extensions) for a song.
- GREAT lunchbox planer - but L-O-U-D.

A few years ago I "upgraded" to a Powermatic 15HH (helical head) - an A-W-E-S-O-M-E planer - and MUCH, MUCH less noise and "baby butt" smooth finish.

Bottom line = lunchbox planer - you can't go wrong with the DeWalt 735, big boy planer (but more $$) - go helical head.

Make sawdust and be safe .  . .

Billbor
Johnny if you're still here maybe now you have a reason to buy a good planer that will stay with you a long time.

I think the 15" Grizzly is one of the best buys out there.  You will not regret moving up to a stationary planer.
Johnny, hot off the press....I just got the new issue of Wood magazine, and they have a benchtop planer review. Try grabbing one at the newsstand and peruse it, but they called the top planer a no-brainer and gave it it to the Dewalt 735. The best value was tied between a Rigid and a Grizzly model. Now, a lot of folks dismiss magazine reviews; but it's about the only place to get info from a side by side comparison of the models. You might find some feature you want in another one. So if your still in the market for a benchtop this might be worth reading.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
My experience with the Rigid has been negative.
First one I purchased did not last long with funny, strange bad noises within.  Rigid happily replaced with a new one.
This second machine is OK, but struggles with even light cuts, I have to feed (push hard) the wood through the machine by hand, the feed rollers always seem to be inadequate.  And yes cleaned the rollers, etc.  Having owned a few planers, this was the worst of them all.  Although I now own a 20" floor model, if in the market for a benchtop planer, I would find a de-walt.
Blains Farm and Fleet has the DW735 with extra blades and the extension tables for $449 ($200 off regular)