More Mirrors with Figured Maple
Made some more mirror frames, for granddaughters this time. Now my wife wants one like one on right in the picture. She is clever; gave me a book with mirror plans for Christmas. Anyway  I used some more of my stash of curly and quilted maple. What would I do without those planes?

Took the pic as I was preparing to put the mirror glass in so I would avoid the flash.

[Image: P1000899_zpswr0bq1l3.jpg]
Ooh they look very nice.  I really like the first one the most with what looks like flames at the top.

Would you happen to have the template I could get from the first one?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I love 'em.
Very, very nice.

What was your dye color and your finishing schedule?

The color is beautiful!
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Looks good.

Glad you said the glass wasn't in there, for a moment I thought you might be a vampire!
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Arlin asked:

Quote:"Would you happen to have the template I could get from the first one?"

Arlin, I think I have them in the shop and will mail them to you.

Martin asked:

Quote:What was your dye color and your finishing schedule?

I dampened the wood to raise the grain, sanded, then applied Trans Tint "golden brown" in water. I think I sanded again lightly.

Next was a coat of Zinsser "Sanding Sealer". That's when the grain really "popped".

Lightly sanded the sealer then made a glaze with artist's oil paint. Mixed "burnt umber" with some Liquin glazing medium into a medium bodied paste; just a small amount of this mix goes a long way. The Liquin makes the oil paint dry in 24 hours, otherwise it would take maybe a week to dry. The great thing about this method is that if you aren't getting the color you want the sanding sealer prevents penetration into the wood and you can simply wipe it off and mix another color into the paste. Sometimes we add some "burnt sienna".

We learned of this method from an article, "Finishing Cherry", in American Woodworker, #93, April 2002, and have used it ever since. It works wonders on wood that tends to blotch. And it is very nice to be able to just wipe it off if you do not like the look. You can actually blend together old and new wood with this method.

Anyway, I put several coats of General Finish "Arm-R-Seal" oil urethane on to finish it.
Hi Arlin,

I mailed the templates today. It is hard to make them perfectly symmetrical. You will notice I marked a center line on each. When I use them to mark the pattern for scrolling I mark one side of center, the flip the template end for end and mark the other half. That way both sides are identical.
Homer
Thanks a ton for the templates they look great and my wife loves how they look to and think when I get better she may have a project for me to do.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.