Wooden Handles for Files?
Hi all,

I've picked up a few files over the last few months as I've needed them, but have been using them without handles :/

I don't have access to a lathe to turn my own, so was wondering if folks had recommendations for where I can pick up wooden file handles? I'm not looking for anything super ornate, as I don't use the files that often, but something with solid quality would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Tom
Not offhand, but Google shows a lot of results.

And.....have any wood dowels laying around? Jab a hole in the end of one.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I was Told By a Guy  he uses golf balls as handles on his smaller files got a laugh from me till I TRIED IT.
 the fit the palm of the hand
south vietnam war collage
Make a square stick at 4/4 or 5/4. Then use a plane to chamfer all corners--Heavy chamfer. Then cut to length, 3-4 inches each. Drill a stepped hole in the end for the file tang. Or just use corncobs.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Can probably find some at flea markets or ebay fairly cheap.
I have some Skroo-zon handles and they work okay -

[Image: EE-FH-297XX_big.gif]

TFWW has them for $2.95 each in a variety of sizes.

But I have a couple of cast iron ones like this one, that I really like -

[Image: antique-cast-iron-stearns-tool-holder-fi...6bc19c.jpg]

A bit cold in the hand and more expensive, but they last a long time. 
Wink  Easy to find on eBay and every now and then you'll see them downstairs in S'nS.

Phil
Not the season for this solution, but I've heard of folks who use corn cobs - cleaned of the corn, of course.

But do not do not DO NOT use a file or rasp without a handle. If it jams, the tang can injure your hand.

Your local hardware store should have them, unless you're unlucky enough to have a useless hardware store.
Skroo-zon are my favorite.  They can be reused and they come in different sizes depending on your file size.

Here's one place to get them:

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/stor...le_Handles
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Nicholson makes a file handle that's available at big orange box store. About 5" long, and it's adjustable. I got one and have used it with a few smaller files and going up to about 12" files and rasps. Easy to remove and use on the next one up. It's just under $10 as I recall.
I've got a few larger files and rasps but have a space issue in the tool box so being able to swap handle around works better for me than trying to cram them in the drawer with handles.
WalterB
Sent a PM and if in no hurry will do them in a few months when I get better.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.