Delta Unisaw Newest design
What  am I missing here?  No one mentions Jet.
I have a Jet cabinet saw, will have used it for one week less 16 years.  I was set-up spot on out of the crate, replaced the motor start switch once.  Other than that it has always been accurate and a joy to use.
Norm
(03-07-2017, 12:22 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: If looking at pm66 and or baldor outfitted orig pm2000, also consider a General that was canadian made. I Love the Generals with the maple leaf emblem.

I don't know that PM2000's ever came with Baldor motors.  My PM2000 is one of the early ones and it's got a Made In Taiwan motor.  All PM2000's were made in Taiwan.  Still a great saw, though. I've had mine 9 years with zero problems.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-18-2017, 10:04 AM)NormT Wrote: What  am I missing here?  No one mentions Jet.
I have a Jet cabinet saw, will have used it for one week less 16 years.  I was set-up spot on out of the crate, replaced the motor start switch once.  Other than that it has always been accurate and a joy to use.
Norm

Probably because the thread was asking about a Unisaw, which is considered by many to be among the top tier cabinet saws.  Powermatic (the top line of Jet's parent company), Saw Stop, and the Canadian made General (now defunct) are also considered by many to be top tier cabinet saws.  While good saws, I don't think most folks consider Jet, Grizzly, Shop Fox, Laguna, Baileigh, Harvey, Stallion, Steel City, or Craftex to be quite in that league, except for possibly some the higher end models beyond what we normally see mentioned here.
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

(03-07-2017, 12:22 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: If looking at pm66 and or baldor outfitted orig pm2000, also consider a General that was canadian made. I Love the Generals with the maple leaf emblem.

I've now got a 1987 General 350, it's a rightie, but I'm good with that. I never gave them much thought back when, a PM66 was just less cash so I went with them, never developed that love affair with a Uni. I've got a Shark guard and a Vega fence on it, and I like
Yes
Yes
Yes
Big Grin I never thought anything could be more beast mode than a 66. I was wrong. it's just the right amount of heavy, motor is a beast, and everything on it just glides now. When I bought it, auction, it was all bound up. Kroil and a few days of going back, and redoing it, and redoing and it's smooth now. Just bought it because of price, really glad now that I did. Dime test +
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
General dating info.

The red oval "General" tag means that a machine is from before the mid-1960s.
If your machine's tag is a silver oval with black "General" then it dates from about 1965.
A new serial numbering system was introduced in 1962. Machines produced that year have serial numbers prefixed with "A". The letter was incremented each year until 1987 when they reached "Z". The 1988 machines have prefix "AA", changing to "AB" in 1989, etc. This seems to hold up to at least 1995, but a couple of machines of mine, purchased new in 1998 and 2003, both have serial numbers prefixed with "G".

Source VM
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
About then they all became "G" . So even the manufacturer doesn't really know, I asked when I needed parts. I'm very lucky, I got #26020 VS lathe at an auction, a project #130 planer, and a #480 8" jointer. The lathe and jointer are done. I need to finish the metal shaper so I can cut a internal keyway on a gear for the planer. General also sold a line of imports, having a conscience ,they called them General International. General has been sold and is in a bad shape .
A man of foolish pursuits