Chisel rehab
If you have never rehabbed a chisel, you are missing out on some fun. Here is one I did this week. I started with a 1/2" Stanley socket chisel. It was in OK shape but needed a handle and some attention.

[Image: DSCN2308.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2309.jpg]

I copied a handle pattern I like. The stick of Osage Orange was long enough for two.

[Image: DSCN2316.jpg]

I applied finish while they were still on the lathe.

[Image: DSCN2329.jpg]

I glued on leather washers and cut them to size with a gouge.

[Image: DSCN2339.jpg]

The chisel tip was backbeveled and rounded at the edges.

[Image: DSCN2345.jpg]

I had to grind back about 3/32 to get to the good profile.

[Image: DSCN2346.jpg]

But it sharpened up nicely.

[Image: DSCN2363.jpg]

In all, it turned out to be a fun project.

[Image: DSCN2369.jpg]

Sometimes the small projects can be fun and rewarding.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Very nice save there Jim & fun for sure
+ you know I like Osage orange
Looks nice.  I also have been doing this, had about 15 chisels to work with.  Got the handles done, now a lot of grinding then bench work to get them completed.  No I don't need that many chisels, it is kind of addicting.  I've tried different woods, finishes etc.  Maybe I will learn something.
(03-05-2017, 08:23 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Looks nice.  I also have been doing this, had about 15 chisels to work with.  Got the handles done, now a lot of grinding then bench work to get them completed.  No I don't need that many chisels, it is kind of addicting.  I've tried different woods, finishes etc.  Maybe I will learn something.

I just finished a 1/4" witherby and a 5/8" Marples. They were both in decent shape and went pretty fast, which was a nice change of pace from the last few I rehabbed. I still have about 5 Marples left to rehab just laying around.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
Nice job!  Is the handle just a friction fit or do you use a little epoxy?

Chuck
Also a nice fly-by gloat on the Japanese hammer.  Any reviews/comments on that bad boy?

Chris
Chris
(03-06-2017, 11:53 AM)C. in Indy Wrote: Also a nice fly-by gloat on the Japanese hammer.  Any reviews/comments on that bad boy?

Chris

Chris--That is the small one. I also have a larger one. Both are excellent. The big boy gets the job done but can get heavy. This smaller one is easy to swing all day long.

Chuck--No epoxy for me. I like to fit them tight with friction and then let the wood breathe. If the fit is close, one mallet whack will send the chisel home for the session. In all fairness, however, I use my Japanese chisels about 95% of the time. The little socket guys are pretty lonely.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com