Just looked at a Nova Galaxi DVR 1644 Lathe
Next time you are at that store, ask if they sell floor models. A few years back, the local Woodcraft was selling a PM 3520, used in demo's and classes, with a new warranty and about $1000 off the price.
(03-06-2017, 07:42 AM)EvilTwin Wrote: From looking at both the griz and the galaxi, they are sharing a bit of dna.  The bed and legs look to be identical castings.  Im going to guess the tailstocks are more similar than they are different.  The differences between the two would be the headstocks.  One is sliding only, a bit taller and uses a 3 hp, 3 phase motor and built in VFD.  The Galaxi has the sliding swivel head, and some fancier proprietary technology (I'm not an electrical engineer, but I think it is a variation of the VFD technology with some extra computer control).   I'm not a very advanced turner, but not a beginner either.   The limitations of my old girl are starting to show.   I'd love to keep the price down as much as possible, but this has to be the last lathe I buy, unless I hit the lottery...

The headstock / motors on the Galaxi and Grizz are totally different technologies.  The Galaxi motor is essentially a switched reluctance motor, integral to the headstock.  The Grizz is basically a TEFC motor controlled through a VFD.  You still have a belt and pulleys on the Grizz motor to switch speed ranges.  No belts on the Galaxi - all done via the controller / software.  While Griz says the motor is a 3-phase motor, it still only operates on single phase 220v power.  Unlike the Powermatic 220v motor, which can be rewired for either single phase input or 3-phase input.  The Galaxi can be run with either 220v or 120v single phase power input.  You just swap the plug and a jumper in the motor to convert between one or the other.  You lose 1/4 HP converting from 220v to 120v.  The Grizz motor is a legit 3HP motor.  The HP might mean more if you're turning larger things.  I find my 2HP Nova DVR to be quite adequate for 95% of what I do.

The Galaxi is on sale right now for only $1999 thru Woodcraft.  It's not clear to me if that price includes the cast iron legs.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Been looking at some online reviews for the Grizzly lathes as well as the Nova.  I had initially leaned toward the 0766, but one reviewer said that he thought the lathe was too tall, and he was 5'11".  I'm about 5'8" and shrinking and that could be a big issue.  I also noticed on just about all the video reviews, that I could hear the VFD/Motor whine when the machines were on, especially at the low speeds.  One reviewer commented on an issue with the tailstock on a 0733 and how over time it got very stiff.  That was due mostly to a bad design on how they lock quill that he had to fix.  Another review showed how the tool rest in the banjo twisted a bit as it was tightened down each time, and one showed a problem with the screw from the tailstock jamming on the bed as you tried to remove it.  All in all, lots of small issues due mostly to cost cutting and refining the design after using the public for beta testing. 

So at this point, the 0766 is out of consideration.  The 0733 is within a couple hundred of the galaxy.  And I really like the swiveling headstock.  Decisions, decisions.  It may all come down to "You get what you pay for"
I struggled -- for a long time -- with exactly that decision.  The cost-conscious side of my brain kept looking at the Grizz or other lathes that were lower-priced than the Galaxi.  Finally decided that all of the 'little things' people mention about the Grizz did not justify IMHO saving a couple hundred bucks.

By the way, Allan, the cast iron legs DO come with the Galaxi. 
Yes
"I don't have an answer to your question....but I can answer a question that you may be asking in the future"
My wife is 5'6 and stands on mats to be comfortable at the 766

I am in the process of building a "tool post extension" for the 766 to see if the we can use some of the tool-posts for the DVR.
I'm using black-iron 1" pipe parts (a nipple and a union).
I'll drill through the union and pipe, then tap that hole for the handle

I can't argue with getting the Teknatool, I don't think you will be unhappy with it.
One of the things I really love about the DVR is the ability to get full power from 100 rpm to 3500 with no belt changes
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
I have turned on the DVR. I was surprised at how it kept torque at lower speeds. The minimum speed of 100 rpm is not low enough for me. Most other variable lathes turn off at 50 rpm. The older PM lathes would go down to almost 0, which I need for sanding my warped bowls. I have looked at the Galaxi in the Woodcraft store, and my first thought was the feet are nos splayed enough. I do like a wider stance. The variable speed knob is a huge improvement over what is on the DVR. I use probably every single speed between 0 and 2200 (range on my Beauty on the middle pulley, older model, now they have only 2 pulleys). The ramp up/down push button was way too slow. The Laguna Revo is a fairly good lathe as well. I took one for a short test drive. Haven't had a chance to really make either of them sweat...

robo hippy
My PM3520 turns at the low of 45rpm and I think it is due to one of the turning guys who knows all about the electrical part programmed the back of the box to what I wanted.  I do think it can be programmed to 0rpm but I do not know if it will affect the high end rpm on the high end but it now runs at 3478 rpm on the fast belt.

I also know when I first got it I put it on low low and tried to stop it with my hands and could not do it, it is pretty strong
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I bought a Nova Galaxi about a month and a half ago and went through the same research and reading gyrations that we all do before a larger purchase.  I already have a smaller lathe.

I've been very happy with the Galaxi and Teknatool's service.  I have it running off 220V which only requires a plug change now, no jumpers or opening up the lathe.  Teknatool is very responsive though the method to contact them is a bit awkward as they have both a Teknatool website and a Nova website. 

The lathe is very smooth, quiet and powerful.  I ran mine through a break-in cycle for the bearings by running it at different speeds forward and reverse for varying lengths of times.  I can run the lathe at 5,000 rpm with little noise and only have the headstock get warm not hot at this speed.  There are 8 programmed function keys to take you to certain speeds quickly or you can use the knob and push and turn for fast speed changes.  I also have the remote and have it attached to the tailstock with Velcro as a means to control the lathe without reaching back to the headstock.  It works well.  The menu system allows you to change various parameters.  You can turn on braking for a faster stop from speed.  Just make sure nothing on the headstock will unscrew during braking.

For me, I'm not into turning big bowls and the 16" inboard swing and 44" length is about all I need.  The headstock can be rotated and an outrigger purchased to turn platters and maybe bowls.  I'd probably add a 400 lb weight box before doing any large outboard turning just because any lathe is not as stable with the rotating mass outboard.  Having said that, this is a substantial lathe.

I plan on putting up a YouTube video in the near future of the lathe and would be happy to video anything in particular if someone wants to see a certain function or operation.

Jim

PS-  Other lathe considerations for me were the Grizzly G0766 and the Laguna Revo
Welcome aboard Jim and thanks for the detailed response. I'm this (holds two fingers together) close to pulling the trigger on this lathe, even though I'm not crazy about spending the cash and haven't bought a new big powertool in probably 10 years or more.
(03-07-2017, 03:19 PM)NC Jim Wrote:   I ran mine through a break-in cycle for the bearings by running it at different speeds forward and reverse for varying lengths of times. 
Jim

Welcome, and thank you for that thought.
Ag