Compare router bit brands?
Southeast Tool, Hickory Saw and tool and Whiteside make the best router bits IMO and are within a few miles of each other in what used to be the epicenter of the US furniture industry in NC.

I do prefer the Freud profiles they make in quadra cutter form.

Everything else I have use (probably 20+ companies) has lacked in some regard BUT for a one off use some of the others do represent higher value but for profiles that get used much at all the 4 companies above are my only choice.
Whiteside is my go to brand if it's a bit I use a lot. Freud sometimes if I need it today, and I kinda like their Quadracut bits for a nice finish. Either of them can be sharpened. Eagle American is not the same quality as they were in 2007 when Brian's FWW article is from. They bought, joined, absorbed MLCS only about 3 to 4 years ago, and when they did it opened up the path to cheeeeep Chinese bits that MLCS had for years Their "Kitana" brand and Eagle were pretty much the same, since the merge, it seems they look different still, but behave like the Chinese junk used to. If they have a bit for 4 bux, and you know you need it for 10 lineal feet of work, go for it. If you want it for one of your frequently used bits buy em at least 20 at a time.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I've been Whiteside for a long time. If need be I'll go Freud.
MLSC, nah, no more of those. Had my fill long ago.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks, guys. I heard the things I was hoping to hear - the good, the bad, and the ugly - and pretty much a confirmation of my limited experience. Also a couple new brands I had not heard of before with comments about them for future reference.

(03-06-2017, 03:31 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Unless it's a giveaway price, or I can't get the profile I need from one of my regulars, my choices are Whiteside, Freud, and Infinity.I've bought some of the Woodcraft bits for $5, and they are worth $5. I've used a few MLCS but don't really care for them. What I really miss is the old Jesada. I alos like the CMT (Italy) bits a lot, but the run quite a bit more generally.
If you miss the old Jesada, have you tried Infinity? David Venditto runs Infinity and is Carlo Venditto's son. Carlo Venditto founded Jesada. I don't recall details but I think the old Jesada was broken up into a sales & marketing business (Jesada) which tanked  and a manufacturing business (infinity). I could be wrong about that though.
I'll also choose Infinity first.  Their bits seem just a little bit more sharp than other maker's bits I've used and thus less burning and less stress on a small router.
A hand router turns pretty fast so even a cheaply made bit will cut to some degree of satisfaction, but by using a quality bit, the time required for burned end grain sanding is significantly reduced.  There's also the issue of the wood fibers being beaten away and cut away.  Burnished and beaten edges routed with a cheap bit will finish differently unless a lot of sanding is done.    Chipping and fuzzed edges are also reduced by using a well sharpened high quality bit.  On larger profiles, unbalanced low priced bits can be hard on the router and the hands.

There are a lot of high quality router bits on the market today.  I don't think the answer to the "best" bit maker will ever be definitive.  I suspect that experienced router users would be more inclined to agree on the "worst" brands rather than the best.
When I need them quickly, Bosch at Lowes, when I have time to order, then Whiteside first, then Freud (Italian made-also pay attention to country of origin for Freud saw blades).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I have mostly Freud.. I find them quite good.. I have a few Whiteside and a bunch of Shop Fox / Grizzly bits..

Honestly.. I use them till they dull, then buy another.. Freud are better than shop fox.. but more money..
Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.
Ayn Rand

I've had pretty good luck with the MLCS Katana router bits.  They ship quickly and seem to be pretty good quality.  I do most of my router bit shopping via the Internet lately after I figure out what I'm going to do/build next.  I have a variety of different brands of router bits and none of them seem to be significantly better than any of the others.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
The Katana bits come from one of the better suppliers in Taiwan but looking at a 3/8" roundover bit (my normal price comparison bit) the Katana is $25 and Whiteside $24.58.

You guys know who the makers are and I'm biased toward Whiteside but when I see what places like Woodcraft, Rockler and others charge for their house bits when not on sale I don't get how they even sell other than a quick ride down the street and convenience.