Bandsaw Fence Recommendations?
(03-06-2017, 08:51 PM)jcredding Wrote: I have an 18" Rikon bandsaw (model 10-345) and have always hated the fence that came with it.  Though I don't do a lot, I need something that would be appropriate for resawing only occasionally.  Would appreciate any thoughts on good options.

Thanks,
John

Not an 18" saw, but for my Grizz w/ 6" riser I just made an "L".  Stuff between 4" and 7" tall uses the short leg.  Taller stuff, flip it and use the tall leg.

I use the stock fence to set it square to the blade, then clamp down.  Shim for parallel cuts by adding a little blue tape before clamping down.

[Image: 31398327984_e81cc4e262_z.jpg]

[Image: 31429315303_0a39a38468_c.jpg]

You can just barely make out numbers on the boards in the second picture.  This was my initial test was making 1/16" (0.0625") cherry veneer.  Measured several points along length and found that I was at most off about 0.005" end-to-end on the boards (that would be the so-called "drift") and maybe a few thousand edge to edge (parallelism).  Not bad for scraps of MDF, blue tape and the cheap 1/2" blade from Grizzly.

Most of the time I'm resawing for 1/8" to 1/4" so that sort of error not worth chasing.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Could never understand why anyone would want to hand guide a piece of wood to resaw.
That's what the fence is for!
I put a 16" Jet fence (thanks Lumberyard) on my old Delta 14" and it works fine.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(03-15-2017, 07:53 AM)Pirate Wrote: Could never understand why anyone would want to hand guide a piece of wood to resaw.
That's what the fence is for!
I put a 16" Jet fence (thanks Lumberyard) on my old Delta 14" and it works fine.

They do it because they can't get their saw to cut straight. 

John
My saw works very well off the fence if I choose to set it up. I can scribe a line and have a "one of" cut cleanly off that big pin in less than it takes to find the fence. I make a lot of boxes, and for most I only need 1 resaw, for that it doesn't make sense for me to spend more time than I do.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(03-15-2017, 06:39 PM)Steve N Wrote: My saw works very well off the fence if I choose to set it up. I can scribe a line and have a "one of" cut cleanly off that big pin in less than it takes to find the fence. I make a lot of boxes, and for most I only need 1 resaw, for that it doesn't make sense for me to spend more time than I do.

Even with my minimalist fence, it's sometimes easier to scribe and cut without a gauge, which is what the fence is, realistically.  I do have to use my hands, either way.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Well I probably should have added that I keep the pin in most of the time, as it is used more than the fence, thus having to go find the fence when I want to resaw veneer slabs.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW