Endgrain chessboard
This is a project I have had in mind for at least five years. A chessboard complete with the pieces. I am now at the finishing stage of the board/box. I have my pieces designed and the templates ready so I can start in the next few days. Simple black walnut and maple, with a band of mahogany. Comments welcome.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like you "nailed it"!  All the points line up well.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Fantastic work.  I like the contrasting colors of the walnut and maple.
Cool
Looks great! I've always wanted to make one of these even though I don't play Chess. I think they look great just as a display piece.

How do you plan on making the individual pieces?
Great job - also love the woods used and their contrast - congrats!  
Smile Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
Looking good!  Can't wait to see what you do with the pieces.

Were your drawers meant to be on the sides?  Each player should have a dark square on the left and a light square on the right.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Yep, screwed up on the orientation. As stupid as it may seem. :-). I will design the dividers appropriately to have the drawers on the sides though. And for the second chessboard I have in the works, trust me, that mistake will not be repeated.
Here are the first three pawns. Maple and beeswax. 5 cm tall. All proportions have been calculated to match the squares.

Attached Files Image(s)

It looks wonderful and beautifully made.  My only concern is that differential expansion between the crossgrain playing area and the narrow long grain border may result in the border corner joints opening up.  I assume that, being raised, the overall board floats above the mitred frame so that these joints will be unaffected by movement.

Jim
Heck, I don't play Chess, and I still like that. Make sure to update as the pieces come together. To make a board is a Jr woodworking project, adding the storage is a really nice touch, but to design, and make the pieces. Sweet
Cool
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW