Problem Stanley #110 - Edges cut too heavy
Rehabbing a stanley #110.  Sharpen the sweetheart iron like I normally would any other bench plane.  Flatten back a bit to knock off high points, use ruler trick on the extra fine stone to finish off the back.  27* primary with about a 30* micro bevel.  Same process I've done thousands of times.

Problem I am having is with this #110, I get a heavy cut on each edge, far left and far right.  But I can't pull a shaving in the middle.  If I advance enough to pull a shaving in the middle, I gouge the edges.  

Something is amiss, almost assuradly with sharping.  What should I try first?  Must be something with the bevel up aspect of this plane giving me trouble?
"Rehabbing a stanley #110.  Sharpen the sweetheart iron like I normally would any other bench plane"

But, of course, this isn't a bench plane.
IIRC, David Charlesworth himself, has said that the ruler trick is for bevel-down planes only.

That aside, I can only imagine that, if your iron's edge tests square, the only possible explanation for your issue is the sole (casting)
Did you check the front of the iron with a square or straight edge. It sounds like the front is a little concave - which would cause it to dig in.
I lapped the sole enough to feel good about it's flatness.  

How could the ruler trick have caused this?   Thoughts on how to remedy?  

I feel like the edge is probably square.  How could I have cut a concave edge re-establishing a bevel?  Is there a way to slightly chamber a bevel up iron?
I wouldn't even bother with the ruler trick.....

Check the bed the iron sits on right behind the mouth  opening.....there MAY be a high spot right in the center?    so, instead of the iron sit flat on the entire seat like  this...----     the high spot will make it bend a little bit into a frown.

I would, however, hold a square to the edge.   Check both for it being square to the edge, AND a straight line across.       Older irons that have seen a lot of use  in the center of the sole, will wear a bit more right in the middle of the edge.       Some of the irons I have had come through the shop.....a few looked like a wave...like this ~   from where all the wear was. 

Also, check how the cap iron mates to the iron.   Lay a straightedge across it, right where it contacts the iron.   Look for any gaps....you might find a high spot or two there.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
OK - so there is consensus on my original caveat; check the iron's edge for square.
It's not enough that you "feel" like it's "probably" square.

secondly, Bandit's idea re the bedding area for the iron, is a real possibility.
Ruler trick is fine for bevel up planes, just not for chisels.

The width of sole may have some wear and not be flat enough.

Some camber on the blade edge should fix the problem,  (More than you think!).

Best wishes,
David
Thanks for checking in David.
(I'm glad I qualified my remarks with "IIRC"!)
(03-10-2017, 04:03 AM)David Charlesworth Wrote: Ruler trick is fine for bevel up planes, just not for chisels.

The width of sole may have some wear and not be flat enough.

Some camber on the blade edge should fix the problem,  (More than you think!).

Best wishes,
David

(03-10-2017, 10:55 AM)Joe Bailey Wrote: Thanks for checking in David.
(I'm glad I qualified my remarks with "IIRC"!)

Quick update.  The iron is square, with a slight chamber - same as I always sharpen to.  Found the problem however, there is a huge belly on the bottom of the plane, in front of the mouth.  That hump is causing my problem.  I spent about 10 minutes lapping, and the problem nearly went away.  Another session should set it right.  Glad to know the ruler isn't a problem here.  I would hate to not be able to take advantage of that with these BU planes.

Thank you all for your help, love this place.
Full Update:

I didn't notice the belly while flattening the first time because I flattened with the lever cap/blade off.  It was "perfectly" flat at this point.

However, once I installed the blade and tightened the cap iron, the very pronounced belly protruded out.  I typically flatten bench planes under tension, and for some reason didn't do so with this block plane...

I can tell you, 100%, that this made the difference.  When I first started flattening the sole of the #110 under tension, hell it was rocking on the lapping plate.  

Afterwards, it performs as well as any other plane in my shop.

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot.