S&D to flex hose
First time working with thin walled 4" & 6" S&D for dust collection.  What are good ways to connect 4"/6" flex pipe to it?  Are there any specific adapters?

I saw a couple of "home made" ideas on youtube but they didn't seem to work with my flex hose.  Maybe I just need to try harder...
I used schedule 35 for piping. Cut a 3 inch or so length of the pipe. Cut a chunk out of it lengthwise so when it's pinched back together it fits snugly into your pipe. Your flex should fit the smaller diameter.

John

[Image: 20170311_135857_zpsr50m7fzu.jpg][Image: 20170311_140006_zpsykb4tvpw.jpg]
In my last shop, I installed aluminum blast gates at the point where the S&D ended and the flex was to begin. The blast gate fit inside the S&D and I used TEC screws and foil tape to attach and seal. On the other side of the gate, used hose clamps to hold the flex to the blast gate. Never had any problems.

John
(03-11-2017, 03:26 PM)jkjen89 Wrote: I used schedule 35 for piping. Cut a 3 inch or so length of the pipe. Cut a chunk out of it lengthwise so when it's pinched back together it fits snugly into your pipe. Your flex should fit the smaller diameter.

John

[Image: 20170311_135857_zpsr50m7fzu.jpg][Image: 20170311_140006_zpsykb4tvpw.jpg]

Thanks,  I'm using the thin walled (white stuff).  May try it.
(03-11-2017, 03:57 PM)jcredding Wrote: In my last shop, I  installed aluminum blast gates at the point where the S&D ended and the flex was to begin.  The blast gate fit inside the S&D and I used TEC screws and foil tape to attach and seal.  On the other side of the gate, used hose clamps to hold the flex to the blast gate.  Never had any problems.

John
I already have 6" blast gates which are made for the S&D.

For the 4", I was planning on making the blast gates.  I guess I will just do the transition there with a half a PVC coupler on one side and  half a flex pipe splice on the other.
here you go
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I heated my flex hose with a heat gun and was able to expand it enough to force the PVC into it. Not an easy fit, but it's air tight. I put on hose clamps for extra security.
Is S&D the same as schedule 40?
On schedule 40 4" plastic pipe I found that I could take a scrap of pipe and cut out a parallel slit wide enough that it closed up when inserted into the end of the branch pipe with no gap on the slit then fixed it with glue. This effectively gave me an outer diameter the same as the inner diameter of the branch pipe and my flexible leads could be attached to that.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(03-11-2017, 05:26 PM)JGrout Wrote: here you go

Thanks.  Didn't see them at Grizzly which I usually use since they are cheaper then Rockler.  But I may grab a few of these.  Anyone know if Schedule 20 fits ASTM D 2729.  Maybe not.

Edit:  I see one of the reviews "Worked perfecting for ASTM2729 sewer and drain pipe to flex hose."
(03-12-2017, 08:11 AM)KyleD Wrote: Is S&D the same as schedule 40?
On schedule 40 4" plastic pipe I found that I could take a scrap of pipe and cut out a parallel slit wide enough that it closed up when inserted into the end of the branch pipe with no gap on the slit then fixed it with glue. This effectively gave me an outer diameter the same as the inner diameter of the branch pipe and my flexible leads could be attached to that.

No.  It is the cheap stuff.  ASTM D 2729