uh oh boys... got me a Mortiser...
Have a mission style media cabinet to make.  Going to have around 80 mortise/tenons in it...

Browsing CL this weekend I see a Powermatic benchtop mortiser for very short money.  I run over there and pick it up.. came with several chisels...

Boys, it feels like I'm taking a test and have all the answers... I cut 22, 1/2" mortises, and 6 through mortises in 3" QSWO legs... In about 45 minutes.

My intention was to buy this machine for this project, and turn around and sell it for a profit when I'm done... however, gonna be hard to pick up the Ray Iles again after this.....

Progress after 1 day.  
[Image: 35lrss9.jpg]
Very nice table!

A while back I did a similar thing.  I built a cabinet on commission that had a lot of mortises.  I decided to buy a mortiser with the proceeds. I haven't used it much since, but it sure is nice to make quick work of mortises when you have a few to do.
The unbridled joy of pounding them out by hand seems to diminish with each blow. Nice upgrade.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Nice looking work! Got a pic of the mortiser?

Doug
I use my mortiser for larger projects but still go to the drill press and chisels for smaller ones. Good to have both.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Yeah, you can't have "got me a mortiser " in the title with no pic. Why do you think we clicked in?

Nice looking table.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Yea I got all hot and bothered and bought a Jet one year. Used it a while, and it's done it's job of collecting dust the last ten years.
Laugh 
Just hasn't been a tool I really needed.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Currently making four chairs for the kitchen, 8 M & T stretchers in each chair, plus M & T joints for the back rests.  Like 20 mortises per chair.  I used my HF mortise machine and Grizzly tenon jig to speed production.  Never considered hand chopping but clearly I have suitable tools.  Back leg of chair is angled back so I had to figure out a way to cut angled shoulders.  Developed a simple jig that allowed me to cut these quickly and accurately, could be used with hand or power tools.
You know posting pics would be a lot easier if it was easier to post pics here...

The built in spacer makes bit setup a breeze.  Most others you have to use shims to set depth of auger to chisel.
[Image: 263v7fo.jpg]

The holddown and fence system is awesome.  Fence is square and secure.  Holddown holds very tight pressure down, and the rollers in front are easy to adjust and hold the workpiece very tight against the fence.  A very well thought out and executed system.
[Image: 28m1ibq.jpg]

After cleaning the "schmutz", as Mark Spagnola calls it, out of the bottom.
[Image: in8qba.jpg]