Where do you turn
(03-12-2017, 06:19 PM)whatline Wrote: I turn in my basement. May have to move outside next time I turn Acrylic though. Just wondering if you encounter any "resistance"

Basement for me, too.  Modest shop size means I have to raise an 8' board over the bed of the lathe to rip. 

Imagine acrylic would benefit from some power ventilation to the outside.  If momma's not happy, nobody's happy.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I turn in my basement.No one else her to complain about anything.My boarder is a turner and wood worker as well,so we can make equal noise and odors.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I've converted about 800 sq. ft. of our basement into my man cave/wood shop. Turning is in a dedicated 10' x 10' plot.
Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA
28 X 40 shop in back. I've closed the windows twice in the three years I've had it. When the Trades are blowing, I get a nice breeze though the shop.
VH07V  
Garage /shop.   Shop is closed when inside temp reaches 38.  Small oil filled electric heater, placed near by, makes it do-able down to that point.
2 car garage detached.
Don
Basement. The only tools in the garage are the jointer and planer. Everything else is downstairs. Cool in the summer, warm in the winter. I try to do all the noisy things when I'm home alone. Dust and noise will be the deal breakers, they can be handled if you put in the effort.
Back in the early '90's I built a 24x24 garage that I intended to split and use half for a shop. That lasted about 5 years and its been a dedicated shop ever since. My work keeps me busy through the fall and first half of winter so by the time I wanted to work out there the floor is ic cold and takes a ton of heating time to heat it up. Last winter I decided to build a solar hot air collector for it. It was late spring before it was fully completed so the effects of it weren't felt until this past fall. That was the only heat in there and when I checked the temp of my slab with my infrared thermometer in January I was surprised to see it never fell below 45 degrees. Made it so much nicer out there this winter. 
Cool
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
In our Ohio house a one car garage served as the shop.

Now I have a 2+ car garage with storage loft.

All vehicles are outside.

Resistance is futile.... :-)