where to buy Sawstop
Redmond sent me an e-mail touting some sawstop promo . Might be worth checking out ?
Redmonds

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(03-14-2017, 08:12 AM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: I didn't realize toolcrib became Acme and by extension that Amazon owned Acme.

I'm not sure that's what happened. Acme was doing business as Tool Crib, and Amazon bought the Tool Crib name, Acme agreed to not compete for 10 years. After the 10 years were up, Acme started back up again as Acme. If you remember the Tool Crib catalogs and compare that memory to the current Acme catalogs they are identical in design/layout (sans the name) to the old Tool Crib. They (Acme) might be selling on Amazon, but I think Amazon is doing it's own thing and Acme is competition. At least that's my recollection of the arrangement. Amazon does not own Acme.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I bought a Jet cabinet saw from Amazon about ten years ago. It arrived with nothing broken, free shipping, on a truck with a liftgate that I did not pay extra for.  And the driver helped me move it into the garage.
Hey, pulled the trigger on the Sawstop. Doing a local pickup at a Woodcraft Chicago area store. Amazon was going to hit me with sales tax and  delivery. I'll pay taxes but save the 250$ on delivery.
(03-14-2017, 08:12 AM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: (before the dummies started charges sales tax in Alabama despite the fact they have no presence here)

In the last 3 years they have grown wings, and traveled to distant lands Looks like Montgomery Al is one of them.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(03-14-2017, 08:12 AM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: (before the dummies started charges sales tax in Alabama despite the fact they have no presence here)

In the last 3 years they have grown wings, and traveled to distant lands Looks like Montgomery Al is one of them.

A few months ago while seeing my Sis and BIL up in Columbus we drove past a many many sq mile facility they evidently dropped from the sky. I guess I was mostly shocked because they didn't ask me first
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
No, that's not an Amazon facility. They really did just voluntary agree to start charging tax. It was all over the news, the hillbillies in Montgomery were quite proud of themselves.
-Marc

(03-14-2017, 05:13 PM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: No, that's not an Amazon facility. They really did just voluntary agree to start charging tax. It was all over the news, the hillbillies in Montgomery were quite proud of themselves.

Hmm, Montgomery, the state capital. Do you know these "hillbillies" of whom you speak???

Doug
(03-14-2017, 09:09 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I'm not sure that's what happened. Acme was doing business as Tool Crib, and Amazon bought the Tool Crib name, Acme agreed to not compete for 10 years. After the 10 years were up, Acme started back up again as Acme. If you remember the Tool Crib catalogs and compare that memory to the current Acme catalogs they are identical in design/layout (sans the name) to the old Tool Crib. They (Acme) might be selling on Amazon, but I think Amazon is doing it's own thing and Acme is competition. At least that's my recollection of the arrangement. Amazon does not own Acme.

Fred got it right - the owner sold the tool crib online business to Amazon and had a non-compete online with Amazon for 10 years.   He (the owner) said Amazon made him an offer he couldn't refuse.   He kept his 5 or 6 stores open in the upper mid-west and may have expanded a store or two under the Acme name.   When his non-compete ran it's course, Acme went back online.   The owner was an interesting guy to talk with - lived/worked in Grand Forks, ND at the time I knew him.

Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
(03-13-2017, 11:48 PM)Tapper Wrote: Good point about sales tax. The reason I overlooked it - NO sales tax in Montana, sorry! Amazon it is!!!

Doug

Amazon now charges sales tax.  But I'd still order it from them to save on shipping.  Plus, if there's anything wrong with it, they'll take it back and ship another for free.  Probably quicker than you would be able to get from any local store.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill