Panels cupping while finish drying
I made a several raised panels.  Used a planer sled to flatten them and finished on drum sander and sanded down to 240.  They weren't dead flat but I'd say the worst was no more than 1/32" off when checking on flat surface.  I applied Arm-R-Seal and let them dry outside.  It's a little warm for the season but not hot.  Like high 70's.  When I check on them later in the day they had all cupped.  Some a little some alot.  The worst was now close to 1/8" off.   Could this have been caused by the heat?  The panels were a warm when I picked them up.
one side finished only?

the major cause of cupping right after improperly dried lumber
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

They are likely to flatten back out again on their own when the MC equilibrates.  Bring them back in and wait a day or two. 

It's best not to move wood from one place to another when building/finishing something. 

John
Joe both sides were finished. I got the boards from 2 different lumber yards. Some were regular KD and the rest were from a recycled barn that were S2S

John I usually apply finish and let pieces dry in the garage but there were alot many pieces this time and figured it was faster and easier to do it outside.
Quote:Some were regular KD and the rest were from a recycled barn that were S2S
  can you tell the difference? 

I suspect the barnwood was air dried and even old it would not act the same as the KD stock.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Were any of them sitting exposed to direct sunlight?
My guess is that the sun baked the top and if the cupping formed a shallow bowl then I could be right. As suggested give them a day or two indoors with air flow all around and it is likely the problem fixes itself.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
(03-14-2017, 11:07 AM)Juss1 Wrote: Joe both sides were finished.  I got the boards from 2 different lumber yards.  Some were regular KD and the rest were from a recycled barn that were S2S

(03-14-2017, 11:20 AM)JGrout Wrote:   can you tell the difference? 

I suspect the barnwood was air dried and even old it would not act the same as the KD stock.

I suspect that both, if they had been in the shop for a week or two, were at the same equilibrium.  Makes no difference if they were KD or AD originally.    Now they're BOTH air dry.

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgt...3/ch03.pdf
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Well I disagree with your conclusion.

I have treated both differently for good reason, I have experienced similar conditions when mixing AD and KD.

Yes.  They were in direct sunlight for several hours.  I can't work on them till this weekend so I'll try and let them be and hope it flattens out a bit.

Joe I don't remember exactly which ones were AD and which were KD.