Irwin Marples Chisel Beef MADE WHERE?
So I was at the Rockler affiliate in Memphis called The WoodWork Shop.  A pretty nice tool dealer.  I was perusing the chisels and spotted a Marples Split Proof Handle chisel, the ones with the yellow and red acrylic handles.  It was a very nice 1" chisel made in Sheffield, England and had a price tag of $36.00  I had always wanted a set of these.  So whilst on Ebay last week there was a seller that had a complete set of the exact same chisels listed for $85 or make offer.  After some back and forth we agreed on $76.50 for seven Irwin Marples Splitproof chisels.  Now the cheap price should have told me something, but what the heck it was only $76.50.  So I received them and sure enough they were the same exact chisel I saw at the Rockler affiliate with one exception...the packaging had in tiny letters MADE IN CHINA.  WHAT!!!  Well you get what you pay for.  I have yet to sharpen and try these out, but I have a feeling the steel won't live up to that made in Sheffield, which in my opinion can't live up to German and Swiss standards when it comes to chisel steel.

So to say the least, I was a bit disappointed.  They are still a very nice set and the same boxed set listed as MADE IN CHINA is selling on Ebay for $130, so I guess I got a good deal, we shall see.
Eric
Well they need flat backs. You can check that by looking and floating on a flat plate. And they need to be hard. I test hardness by dragging a carbide scribe across the bevel. Line up a few chisels and scratch them. You will be able to rank the hardness by how much effort is required to leave a similar scratch.

At least with a few tests you can determine if the chisels are in the same quality group.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I think your instincts are correct.  Unless China has a newly established chisel production facility, the quality of any chisels will probably not exceed that found in the Aldi chisels made there selling for less than $10.00 for a set of  four.
(03-14-2017, 12:32 PM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: Well they need flat backs. You can check that by looking and floating on a flat plate. And they need to be hard. I test hardness by dragging a carbide scribe across the bevel. Line up a few chisels and scratch them. You will be able to rank the hardness by how much effort is required to leave a similar scratch.

At least with a few tests you can determine if the chisels are in the same quality group.

Great tip, Thanks Jim I will check them out on some Henry Taylors in my stash and some Robert Sorby chisels and see how hard it is to scratch them.
Eric
(03-14-2017, 04:30 PM)Eric Commarato Wrote: Great tip, Thanks Jim I will check them out on some Henry Taylors in my stash and some Robert Sorby chisels and see how hard it is to scratch them.
IME, the chinese know HOW to make good, edge holding tools..and they know how to make cheap steel.They know that steel  used for tools has to be able to hold a good edge and yet  not have the edge crumble in use on hard wood...Even the best steel requires proper hardening and tempering, so there's another area where shortcuts can be taken...Hopefully, your chisels will perform to your satisfaction.

At one time I had some Sorby chisels that would not hold their edge worth a flip..They were purchased at a flea market and could not be returned, so I broke out my acetylene torch and re-hardened and tempered them..and afterwards, they were excellent...Good steel, but poorly hardened and tempered at the factory..OR the operator "blued" them by grinding and overheating them.

The Japanese used to make cheap tools when I was young...now they have an excellent reputation.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

It's been several years now since Marples Blue Chip chisel production moved from Sheffield to China.  I remember a thread to that effect here on WN, then a rush to buy out all the Sheffield made chisels from the big box stores.  My first set of chisels was the 4-chisel set of blue chips.  Never really cared for them.  Not the best steel out there, and very heavy, especially when chopping dovetails.  OTOH, I did buy a set of the Aldi Chinese chisels and I was moderately impressed.  They flattened and sharpened easily, and cut well.  They'll probably still end up being my beater chisels, since I already own a couple of sets of very nice chisels from LN and Veritas.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill