Recent Adventures in Cleaning and Repairs
I'm always thrilled to try new things in the shop, especially if they're relatively easy to find or inexpensive.   Rambling on....

My mother lately passed along to me Grandpa's toy from the early 1900's, a heavy cast iron fire-fighter's toy.  I tried Kramer's Antique Improver for cleaning it, and I did like how it perked-up the original paint colors:

Next up is a total basket-case Sargent 407, sold "for parts only":

With some JB-Weld, aluminum scrap sheet stock, and Hammered style paint, it is coming along:

The oak in the background will become a project sometime too.  

Chris
Chris

Cool fire wagon!
Ag
Wow, my ladder wagon! But mine is in Revel plastic kit from about 1955+. I tracked down the series of 4 after lusting for my brother's about 40 years.

Oh, nice rehab of the Sargent.....
That can't be the same plane!
My Little Buddy has new shoes now...

The front knob is fresh-turned olivewood and I expect it will darken fairly soon to match the screwdriver shown behind it.  The rear tote is crotch walnut which likely won't darken any more.

This was exhausting and I haven't honed the blade yet, but the plane can already work to a degree!

Chris

Chris
That's a cool toy and nice revival.

The plane looks sharp all fixed up.
One question, in the before picture the plane doesn't have the cap iron, chip breaker or iron.
Did you have them and just not on the plane or did you have to acquire them?
(03-18-2017, 01:10 AM)wood-chips Wrote: That's a cool toy and nice revival.

The plane looks sharp all fixed up.
One question, in the before picture the plane doesn't have the cap iron, chip breaker or iron.
Did you have them and just not on the plane or did you have to acquire them?

I had to acquire them and they weren't really that cheap....   Oh well, I had actually made a few bucks flipping some other tools lately, so this one's an indulgence!

Chris
Chris