Funky workmate?
Does anyone recognize what this thing is? A client gave it to me, and it looked a little interesting to me. I brought it home and blew most of the sawdust off of it. Now I can't think of what I would use it for.

[Image: IMG_2249_zpslybczvzp.jpg]
If women don't find you handsome, at least let 'em find you handy!
Do the 3 heads pivot around so you can take advantage of the different shapes? Pretty sure it's not production but someones idea of the perfect odd shape clamping device. The pic doesn't make it look too big, possibly a carver to hold a chunk of wood while they work on it?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
It looks like a small version of the this. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.as...at=1,41637
Looks like a custom set-up for clamp triangular casework, perhaps flag cases.
Prototype that got loose?  April fools joke on the Boss, and it sat in the basement for years?
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I came across this same Workmate like device at an estate sale. There were no markings, tags, or labels of a manufacturer. Definitely looked like a production product vs a prototype. The person having the sale had no idea where the tool was bought.

Roger Davis
Looking at the base it's definitely a production item. The triangular shelves and the V shaped legs that perfectly fit the points of the shelves. There is no way anyone would spend that much effort in the sheet metal shop to make a one off with those angles. Not to mention those plastic bench dogs that are like none I have ever seen.  Also that tool holder is a B&D staple.

The orange color suggests it was built in the 1960s. Looks like a very limited run of a black and decker work mate and I'd be very surprised if it wasnt.
Have you ever been in a sheet metal shop? Between Machinists, and sheet metal guys that is a quick project. I don't think anything on that is production except the sawn off chunks of wood, and the stripped off crank vises from a workmate. I imagine the metal legs are just cut offs from one or the other
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
For holding wooden sculpture.  The kind you start off making with a chainsaw and angle grinder.
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

There's a picture of another one in the link below.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showt...36&page=11 -- long, but interesting, thread